2000 Thuderace, new to this forum

pet3250
This post is 5706 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I have just bought a 2000 Thunderace with 2000 miles full history. are there any problems with this model that I need to know about? I`ve just sold my 12 year old ZZR1100 and I`m sort of used to tinkering to keep it running well. any advise would be welcome. Thanks, Peter

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

look in google for the Thunderace mail list archives, there is also the YZF owners club.

i like my ace alot, but, as with every bike, there are niggles! With mine the clutch doesnt bite till the last cm of travel. The clutch rattles like a bag of nails, ive replaces the plates and springs etc, with no benefit. Depending on how you ride and what youve owned in the past you may find it a tad slow. Go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket, it does the trick for most people. The rear shock gives up anywhere between 10-20k and its not cheap to replace, believe me, im looking for a shock now. For long journeys i find the clip ons still give me alot of grief, ive fitted an LSL yoke with risers. If you ride "Sport" alot of the time a rear suspension jack up kit is a big must, everything wants to scrape on the floor.

Hope this helps.

I've had my Ace for about 3 months now after getting rid of my ZZR1100.The only problem I've had was a worn out radiator cap which allowed the expansion tank to pressurize dumping the coolant out of the overflow.

I also replaced the clutch with a heavy duty EBC job,which sorted out the clutch slip.The next thing on the list it the EXUP valve which has started to squeak.It needs to be taken out and cleaned up every year or so.

I don't really find it slow compared to the ZZR,just alot easier to ride(It's alot lighter).I have replaced the standard silencer with a race can and that makes a noticeable difference to the power.The front wheel comes op in second now and that's without having to resort to the clutch!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had been riding my T-Ace for last 2 years and had no problems at all. I had been visiting at track days and riding it with 2 on and still no problems with rear shock. Only problem is power and how to get it more.

• 1 month later...

also, you can visit some of us at

www.Bikersoracle.com

under "Forums" then "Thunderace/cat"

see ya there, I think expatmatt is on there aswell

stormy

• 3 years later...

:hi Pete

poor 2nd gear / clutch and cheap rear suspension are the most common faults

I know its a very very old thread............ :blink:

However.....I was interested to read that you quoted that it has a poor second gear. Was out hooning on mine last night ;) and felt like the chain was jumping the front sprocket so i am thinking this might have been the sound feel etc ............

What is the fault with 2nd gear and rough ideas on repair?.otherwise might just splash £££££'s on Fleabay for a new engine......

or i might try and obtain a 750r box, the will give me 6 gears and they drop straight in apparently.....

any help would be gratefully received.

:(

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online