XJ6 Newbie

monkeyjim
This post is 4768 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all ,

My first time on .

I have a cloudy white XJ6 bought new September 09 . I have currently covered just over 12 thousand miles, the majority of the mileage is commuting . . Passed my big bike test Aug 09 so this is my first big bike following my excellent YBR125 .

I am really happy with it , only 2 problems : the brake lever switch has started mucking about so that will be replaced under warranty at the weekend and the starter is noisier when the bike is hot , other than that, no probs .

I have fitted R&G bar ends ( scuffed the originals) , Protech rear paddock stand Bobbins , crash bungs and engine protector .

I have my eye on a Genuine Yamaha flyscreen and a Skidmarx rear hugger as the rear of the bike gets really dirty very easily on the Sussex country roads . Shame the flyscreen is so expensive .

I replaced the tyres at just over 10 thousand miles to the surprise of my biker mates , purhaps this mileage is down to being a new rider? whatever it is I decided to put another set of Battlax BT021's on .

Is anyone using any form of hand guard or handle bar muff on a XJ6 during the winter , any recommendations ?

I am not sure about the muffs and am considering Barkbuster hand guards instead .

Cheers , David

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey hey,

I have an XJ6-S, I use the acerbis duel road handguards along with heated grips. I also have a good set of UnderArmour Cold Gear Gloves. All the little bits help but your still cold in winter mate.

David

Certainly is cold , top of my hands get it worst of all . No real problem with cold palms , just the icey blast . Isnt freezing fog on outside of visor fun ...... :blink:

Anyway , I will look up the handguards .

Thanks

Looking at the Acerbis guards .

Does the bar end need removing ? Do you simply unscrew the bar end and screw in the guard or do you need to take out the original Yamaha fitting inside the bar the bar end retaining screw tightens into ?.

Does it render the original bar end internal fitting useless because it ruins it taking it out or would it be re-usable . (read that on another bike forum ) I realise I can remove the main section of the guard , I dont really want these things on all year round tho just the couple of months either side of Christmas really .

Apologies for my lack of motorcycle componant knowledge . Still new to bikes.

Looking at the Acerbis guards .

Does the bar end need removing ? Do you simply unscrew the bar end and screw in the guard or do you need to take out the original Yamaha fitting inside the bar the bar end retaining screw tightens into ?.

Does it render the original bar end internal fitting useless because it ruins it taking it out or would it be re-usable . (read that on another bike forum ) I realise I can remove the main section of the guard , I dont really want these things on all year round tho just the couple of months either side of Christmas really .

Apologies for my lack of motorcycle componant knowledge . Still new to bikes.

I've got them on my xj6, live anywhere near glasgow? haha. Anyway, screw out the bar ends, then they just slot in and the bolt you use to slot in expands and grips. No doing anything funny with the screw inside the bar. It allows you to just replace the bar end weights if u want

• 2 weeks later...

Your dead right , they are easy to fit and do not look to bad either .

I bought the white ones in the end to match the bike . They look better than they sound :D

Not actually used the bike with them on yet . This is the second week I have not used bike due to the weather , its just not worth risking it in the ice and the Sussex temperatures are nothing like as low as in other parts of the country.

Took the bike to bits , cleaned it all up and carried out a full service while I am unable to use it .

I also fitted a Skidmarx hugger/chain guard . It looks really good and finishes the bike off nicely . It covers the chain more than the standard chain guard and will generally keep the bike a lot cleaner , especially during the winter .

Can recommend the hugger from Skidmarx as it is good quality GRP and a perfect fit .

Can also recommend Motomatrix , bought the guards from them , they are really helpfull .

I have just bought a Street Triple ( keeping the XJ to commute on ) but not got ST home yet due to 2 weeks of bad weather , hope to get it this weekend :D

• 4 months later...

I have just bought a Street Triple ( keeping the XJ to commute on ) but not got ST home yet due to 2 weeks of bad weather , hope to get it this weekend :D

Git! *Am green with envy*. I also have a Yamaha XJ6(n). And I too want to buy the Street Triple! But don't have the money... Anyways was just passing through looking at handguards when I saw your comment. Grrr! :angry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online