Help!

wyliecoyote
This post is 4939 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright lads,

I have a 03 yz 125,im new to this and havent really a clue about bikes,so any advice would be greatly appreciated!I was riding my bike yesterday and it started to bog down and cut out.couldnt get it stated then,gave it about 10 kicks.so i took out the spark plug today and found that the tip of the spark plug(think its called the electrode)had snaped off and its now inside my engine.i am just wondering if it is an easy fix,and what kind of damage it can do?any other advice would be great!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alright lads,

I have a 03 yz 125,im new to this and havent really a clue about bikes,so any advice would be greatly appreciated!I was riding my bike yesterday and it started to bog down and cut out.couldnt get it stated then,gave it about 10 kicks.so i took out the spark plug today and found that the tip of the spark plug(think its called the electrode)had snaped off and its now inside my engine.i am just wondering if it is an easy fix,and what kind of damage it can do?any other advice would be great!

Unless your very unlucky the bits will have gone straight out the exhaust port, one of the perks of a 2 stroke :)

Stick a new plug in and it should be well again. And dont leave it so long without a once over, the YZ's are not designed like a road bike they need hugs and cuddles to keep them sweet (ie, fast)

Unless your very unlucky the bits will have gone straight out the exhaust port, one of the perks of a 2 stroke :)

Stick a new plug in and it should be well again. And dont leave it so long without a once over, the YZ's are not designed like a road bike they need hugs and cuddles to keep them sweet (ie, fast)

Thanks for the reply

im just worrying that it didnt go out the exhaust and its still somewhere inside the engine.any ideas of where to start lookin for it??have you ever heard of this happening before?

Thanks for the reply

im just worrying that it didnt go out the exhaust and its still somewhere inside the engine.any ideas of where to start lookin for it??have you ever heard of this happening before?

Owing to the way a 2 stroke works there is always positive pressure coming from the transfer ports so it is very difficult for it to travel that way. They are also quite small. The exhaust on the other hand effectively sucks the charge from the cylinder as it helps draw the fuel air mix onto the piston. Some of this ends up in the pipe and is forced back with the backpressure in the pipe. That back pressure wouldn't lift the bits back into the pot.

If your really botherd i'd have the front pipe off and see whats inside it, most likely its in the u bend at the bottom of the pipe.

Owing to the way a 2 stroke works there is always positive pressure coming from the transfer ports so it is very difficult for it to travel that way. They are also quite small. The exhaust on the other hand effectively sucks the charge from the cylinder as it helps draw the fuel air mix onto the piston. Some of this ends up in the pipe and is forced back with the backpressure in the pipe. That back pressure wouldn't lift the bits back into the pot.

If your really botherd i'd have the front pipe off and see whats inside it, most likely its in the u bend at the bottom of the pipe.

Thanks

im very tempted to just start the bike up and hope that it did go out the exhaust!ill take the exhaust of anyway and see if i can find it!if it is inside the engine do you think ill be able to hear it??

Well,

just took if the exhaust there and looked inside the port,the piston is f**ked!

Havent had a chance to look at the cylinder yet,but hopefully should be ok.

Just wondering if anybody can recommend websites to get pistons/cylinders of?

Thanks

Well,

just took if the exhaust there and looked inside the port,the piston is f**ked!

Havent had a chance to look at the cylinder yet,but hopefully should be ok.

Just wondering if anybody can recommend websites to get pistons/cylinders of?

Thanks

These are the people i've used before, on reccomendation. Sensible prices for first class work. Cheap rebores will cost you loads in the long term.

PJME

These are the people i've used before, on reccomendation. Sensible prices for first class work. Cheap rebores will cost you loads in the long term.

PJME

Thanks for the link!

Any ideas where i could find a replacement cylinder?ive got a feeling the cylinder is gonna be in shit! :angry:

Thanks for the link!

Any ideas where i could find a replacement cylinder?ive got a feeling the cylinder is gonna be in shit! :angry:

The demon bay would be your best bet. Where all of mine have come from. DONT buy and engine on chance unless its stupidly cheap and contact the seller too ask LOTS of questions.

I'd check with PJME first. There are companies that can rebore and replate, or fit liners to engines but you will have to spend some google time tracking them down.

Like i said ring some of the companies up, they are the experts and providing you approach them properly, i imagine they get no end of "can you tune my bike to a billion BHP for £4.50". They are running a business. But asking PJME is they can fix up your barrel/piston is likely to get a good response.

The demon bay would be your best bet. Where all of mine have come from. DONT buy and engine on chance unless its stupidly cheap and contact the seller too ask LOTS of questions.

I'd check with PJME first. There are companies that can rebore and replate, or fit liners to engines but you will have to spend some google time tracking them down.

Like i said ring some of the companies up, they are the experts and providing you approach them properly, i imagine they get no end of "can you tune my bike to a billion BHP for £4.50". They are running a business. But asking PJME is they can fix up your barrel/piston is likely to get a good response.

Cheers

Ive only had the bike a week and this happens so im pretty pissed off!

so Thanks for your help,ill have a look at the cylinder and well see what happens!

how bad would it be to run a bike with slight marks on the cylinder,i take it there will be loss of compresion anyway,but would it make a huge differance?

Cheers

Ive only had the bike a week and this happens so im pretty pissed off!

so Thanks for your help,ill have a look at the cylinder and well see what happens!

how bad would it be to run a bike with slight marks on the cylinder,i take it there will be loss an compresion anyway,but would it make a huge differance?

Can't really say, i have only ever had bikes with liners, i don't know how the coatings fare with scratches in them. Just open her up for a lookie see. I would expect the bore to be better than the piston as the coating is VERY hard but like i said. Never messed with one. TOO new for me. Sorry.

I suppose it depends if you want a reliable bike or a money pit i suppose. A YZ is no shrinking flower and demands respect and a few bob. The engines are rated for hours rather than miles. Don't get me wrong it will run for probably a couple of thousand equivalent road miles (depends how good you are) but not a lot more, you are sacrifising reliability for performance. 2003 YZ must be getting on for 40HP when a really good DT125 will have maybe 20HP and wont rev nearly so hard.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online