Aftermarket lights on vintage bikes

junununu
This post is 4936 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I need a new set of taillights, and considering integrating the taillight to the seat assembly. I'm a fan of LEDs, but how will the electrical system play with such type of lighting? For reference, I ride a XS400D

And also an aftermarket tach, since the one I have is probably not so accurate (very sticky)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

So I need a new set of taillights, and considering integrating the taillight to the seat assembly. I'm a fan of LEDs, but how will the electrical system play with such type of lighting? For reference, I ride a XS400D

And also an aftermarket tach, since the one I have is probably not so accurate (very sticky)

LED lights will be great for your bike since they draw a fraction of the amps that filament bulbs draw. The electrical system is marginal on our older bikes and anything we do to reduce the draw helps. If you install LED turn signal lamps in the rear you should replace the front turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs. You will also have to replace the flasher unit with a new one compatible with LED bulbs. The only issue I have with aftermarket replacement units is that some are small and not very bright, reducing the visibility of signals which tell others what you are planning/doing.

While at it, replace the sealed beam headlight (if not already done) with a reflector unit that will accept the brighter 55/60 watt H4 headlight bulb for safer night time riding.

you can get standard fitting/looking bulbs but with the LEDs in them. paul Goff at norbsa does them

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online