Yamaha XV125 Virago Battery issue

Kelum
This post is 4943 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

tip .....dont jetwash a bike! just the wheels......saves problems like this occurring.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My case is totally solved..I had several runs after replacing the rectifier and no issues arisen.

It appears my washing killed the rectifier..electrician asked me to protect interior electronics from water..specially during jet washing. But you should wash your bike anyway, how would you face this? U cant cover it as it has to dissipate heat?

How the rectifier was tested..

By the time I got to the electrician the battery was totally dead. (Initially at this stage..when you press the starter button, the motor sounded like it was reving freely..later when battery was totally dead..there was very thin sound..) Hope many of you have experienced this..

Then in order to test the rectifier you need to rev the engine..so we took a good battery and fixed its poles to corresponding poles of the bike's battery, then started it...next we checked if engine charging the battery by placing a voltmeter and found it wasnt charging. So we figured out that the rectifier was faulty.

Next we charged the bike's battery to the full, then hooked it up to the bike and fixed the new rectifier..started the bike and checked with voltmeter if the bike was charging the battery..at this point the voltmeter read battery's voltage as 13.5V or so which proved the battery was being charged and the fault was with the rectifier..

So...I am here back on ma bike riding..cheers and thanx for all who helped..

Hope this thread would help someone! :) :) :)

Ach confused.

I bump started the other day, to find that when I revved it the voltage only slightly increased??? Would that highlight that it's NOT, in fact, the reg/rect and probably just the battery?

Chris

Ach confused.

I bump started the other day, to find that when I revved it the voltage only slightly increased??? Would that highlight that it's NOT, in fact, the reg/rect and probably just the battery?

Chris

May I know how slightly? Check electrolyte level of the battery..I think its battery... :unsure:

running p.d around 13V idling, going up to around 13.9 revving.

Any advance?

Chris

Well Chris, this voltage is ok, I had the same reading on voltmeter after installing new rectifier..you shouldnt worry! But if you doubt too much, you should ask from an electrician...

Cheers!

THEN WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??????? Just the battery?

Your battery may not be holding the charge..look on the electrolyte level...your machine doesnt start at all? Does the rectifier heat up? Rectifier should be working well if you get a voltage increase when engine revs... :unsure:

cheers dude, but how do I check that level? :mellow:

Chris

Take out the battery and you can see the liquid level..check if its below the minimum level..battery cover should be semi transparent... :unsure:

Sealed battery man :(

I'm just gonna buy a new one anyway...

Cheers chris.

Sealed? Doesnt it have nobs so you can pour some distilled water? Well I've never seen such man...

tc!

yess. Sealed lead acid i think it's called.

But, I bought one today for £38, brought it home and it wont charge. Like the trickle charger wont go off "standby" and start charing.

Putting a volt meter across it I get a reading of 0 volts. Have i been sold a duff battery?

Chris

yess. Sealed lead acid i think it's called.

But, I bought one today for £38, brought it home and it wont charge. Like the trickle charger wont go off "standby" and start charing.

Putting a volt meter across it I get a reading of 0 volts. Have i been sold a duff battery?

Chris

Is it new or used? Reputable supplier?

Confirm that your charger is ok, connect your old battery to it to check it outputs. Then try it to your replacement battery. I may be wrong, but I think some of the modern trickle chargers have to "sense" a voltage presence before they decide how much to pump in. An older style charger may be better to get you started.

New, from J and S Yamaha in New Malden.

I suspect it's been on the shelf for quite some time though, the label was slightly faded.

Connected the old battery and it says it's charging... and it says it is charging it (weather it is or not is debatable)

Unfortunately, I don't have an old style charger at my disposal... I may have to bring the battery back tomorrow...

Chris

Rectifier working? First charge your battery externally and then hook it up to the bike and see when engine revs if the bike can charge the battery..if it cannot charge then the rectifier should be responsible.. :huh:

Okay so I got the original battery working but it's run out after a few days so I suspect it's the rectifier.

I'm buying a new one today so hopefully will sort it out.

Will let you know how it all goes.

Chris

Whats the situation chris? :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online