Trying to start 72 RT1 360 with no key

armpit
This post is 4984 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I bought a 72 RT1 360 with 4800 miles for $120 from a guy that rode it all the time, then 8 years ago, drained the tank and parked it in the shed.

It has no key, so he said (from what I could understand) that he was able to get it running by cutting the entire cluster of wires that went to the switch, then just stalling it out to turn it off.

I got the carb cleaned, and I am getting fuel and oil into the engine, its got great compression, but I cant get any spark.

Wiring diagram:

http://www.slimduck.com/rt1360_wiring.htm

I tried connecting the red to brown, but still no spark.

Any ideas? That dang spark is all that's keeping me from having this baby running.

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I bought a 72 RT1 360 with 4800 miles for $120 from a guy that rode it all the time, then 8 years ago, drained the tank and parked it in the shed.

It has no key, so he said (from what I could understand) that he was able to get it running by cutting the entire cluster of wires that went to the switch, then just stalling it out to turn it off.

I got the carb cleaned, and I am getting fuel and oil into the engine, its got great compression, but I cant get any spark.

Wiring diagram:

Any ideas? That dang spark is all that's keeping me from having this baby running.

Thanks guys

Hi Armpit , looking at the diagram just to get a spark all you need is the brown wire from the generator and wire it to the coil, just make sure the coil is earthed where its bolted to he frame and the points are clean. I had a few hours trying to get my DT1 going and in the end the points where tarnished and needed sanding a bit.

Good luck with the wiring .

Tommy10bikes

Wiring diagram:

All the guy had to do was unplug the key switch harness.

Thanks guys

I'm confused, is the switch now back in service?

The Black/White is the engine kill when it is connected to ground. Withe the key OFF this would be connected to ground and the spark would be lost. If the key switch is not working disconnect this wire and spark should work. Then connect it via another switch to ground if you want an engine kill

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online