Replacing sparkplug caps.

johnsnownw
This post is 5021 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Oye!

I'm going to be replacing the caps when they arrive. I purchased NGK 5k resistance. Was wondering if anyone had any advice on removing the old and replacing them with the new. Are the wire's just screwed into the cap, sort of like when using electrical caps to join two wires together?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Oye!

I'm going to be replacing the caps when they arrive. I purchased NGK 5k resistance. Was wondering if anyone had any advice on removing the old and replacing them with the new. Are the wire's just screwed into the cap, sort of like when using electrical caps to join two wires together?

Yep, wires are just screwed into caps. Twist cap counter-clockwise to unscrew and reverse direction to install new caps. Recently replaced my originals (showed no resistance and open circuit) with the same caps. Are the ignition wires new? If they are old and/or of uncertain age, replace those also. Mikesxs.com offers a pair for a few dollars that are the correct 7mm size with copper wire cores. Other than racing application, it is very difficult to find 7mm metal core wires.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I was thinking about replacing the wires too.

Edit: Just bought the XS 7mm ones. They are yellow, figured the fiance might like yellow.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I was thinking about replacing the wires too.

Edit: Just bought the XS 7mm ones. They are yellow, figured the fiance might like yellow.

Great! Glad to help.

Nah you can do it with the engine running if you have thick socks and heavy duty wellies on

Only weenies shut down the engine!! :D

A word of caution. On some models, the wire is moulded into the coil. Makes for a very long day, creative thinking and the manufacture of specialized tools. :sorry:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online