Fuel leaking out of the carb inlet.

MasonHart
This post is 5048 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I took apart, cleaned and reassembled my carbs today to see if i could get it running again, was just running fine about a week or so ago. Before and after i cleaned them when i would try to start it after a while fuel would come out of the inlet where the air cleaners would hook up, whats the cause this?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I took apart, cleaned and reassembled my carbs today to see if i could get it running again, was just running fine about a week or so ago. Before and after i cleaned them when i would try to start it after a while fuel would come out of the inlet where the air cleaners would hook up, whats the cause this?

Your float bowls are set too high, would be my guess.

could this make the bike not start?

Yes. I'm not sure about your model, but if you have a crankshaft breather hose connected to your air-hose then gasoline could also leak into your engine.

Either way your problem is most likely due to some aspect of the float assembly, as that controls the amount of fuel let into the carbs.

Alright, that narrows down the problem a bit. Now, i need to research the correct float height and how to set it lol

Not sure of the proper float height, but you set it by bending the floats. There is a prong that sits on top or clips onto the needle valve, and it is this prong that you will bend up or down to get the proper height. Make sure you measure properly when you find out the proper height. It may be that your floats are the correct height, but your needle valve is not working correctly. Just make sure you measure really well before going all bend crazy on those floats ;)

float could have been punctured and also the inlet float valve could be worn.

try for spares

I have already had the carbs apart and the floats weren't punctured and the needle wasn't sticking or anything so i am guessing it is the float height. To set it do i set the carbs upside down or what? I found the proper height just need to know if i set them with the carb sitting upside down or sitting the way it would on the bike

On the XS400...which is all I personally know, you hold the carb upside down, but hold the float to where it just touched the needle, but does not start to press it, and you measure to the bottom of the float- which is now on top....clear? I'm confused, but thats the process I am familiar with.

I have already had the carbs apart and the floats weren't punctured and the needle wasn't sticking or anything so i am guessing it is the float height. To set it do i set the carbs upside down or what? I found the proper height just need to know if i set them with the carb sitting upside down or sitting the way it would on the bike

its not the valve sticking, quite the opposite, look for a ridge or coloured mark where it seats in the carb. sometimes they are viton tipped which makes it harder to determine the wear.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online