buying dt 175

mt-01r6
This post is 5075 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

currently own a xt 660x yam, want to buy a classic yam. As it will be used everyday , thinking of buying a 79 dt 175 . any info about running a 175 will be appreciated ,how are spares available etc ,is it feasible to use a 31 year old bike everyday. my bike is my only form of transport and i travel 15 miles a day .any comments will be wellcome

thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The Dt is very usable as day to day transport. I only mothballed mine due to changing shift to a 0300 start and the neighbours got a bit grippy with the dt barking into life at 0240 in the morning. And maybe one or two minor mechanical points to adress ahem.

As far as owning one goes. The most important part. Take someone with you so you buy a good one. There are counless bodged up 'resto's' or bikes that need bits to finish. Ignore them and go for a good clean standard ish (pipe's are common) bike.

When you find a good one all you really need to do is keep it serviced and clean. Oh and avoid motorways as realistically 60 is absoloutly flat out.

As a general guide, crank seals on low milage bikes, swing arm spindle and chain tensioners sieze, brakes are marginal at best. Tank only holds a gallon and a bit (range of around 50miles) and the wiring can be troublesome but then it is 30 years old. To finish, the headlight is absouloutly shite.

Not put you off good. I've had mine for 22 years, a complete toy now but was my only transport for several years, then when hitched it again became main transport as wifey had the car. Used to do market harborough from northampton daily in all weathers about 40-45 odd mile round trip.

It has its limits but its honest, keep up with general maintainance and it will happily serve you for years, as a final note the later 80-81 bikes have some updates over the 79 that give it a(very tiny)bit more zip and a better CDI.

currently own a xt 660x yam, want to buy a classic yam. As it will be used everyday , thinking of buying a 79 dt 175 . any info about running a 175 will be appreciated ,how are spares available etc ,is it feasible to use a 31 year old bike everyday. my bike is my only form of transport and i travel 15 miles a day .any comments will be wellcome

thanks

Hi

As you can see I have a 1977 DT 175, My journey by the most direct route is 15 miles also but that means a 70 mph dual carriage way,

I have altered the size of the G-Box sprocket by 1 tooth to get the bike to run a higher speed but it still can only just do an indicated 70 mph, a comfortable cruise speed is about 55 mph.

My bike is only a twin shock so I suppose you having a 79 mx would make the bike better over that type of route.

For me to use the bike every day I would have to play with points plug more often, the MX would not need the points but it would still need some extra care,

I run original type trials tyres too and over the 3 to 4 thousand miles I have done on the bike as pleasure riding they have suffered from extra wear & tear on the road.

I know it’s a pessimistic view but so far it has made me stick to the 4 wheel oil burner or my FJR,

I would look at a 250 XT or DT of the same age.

Hope I have not put you off,

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online