Mixture screws (XS 400)

galexanderj
This post is 5077 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a '79 XS400 and I took the adjustment screws out of the carbs today to take a peek at them, this is what I found.

>

The one on the right is bent and mushroomed a bit and the one on the right is flat on the top.

Obviously the one on the left is messed up but I just wanted to know if the one on the right is normal for this bike.

I am very new to bikes mechanically and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions at some point.

Thank you.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

shame on whom ever did the to your carb's :angry: i would check down in the hole's and make shure the "hole's" are ok . on some of the carb's the jet's come to a fine point and can snap down in there :o. my 82 has this type .not shure about your's may be different being older. i would pray there is not broken bit's of brass down in there

shame on whom ever did the to your carb's :angry: i would check down in the hole's and make shure the "hole's" are ok . on some of the carb's the jet's come to a fine point and can snap down in there :o. my 82 has this type .not shure about your's may be different being older. i would pray there is not broken bit's of brass down in there

Thank you for the quick reply.

And the tips are stuck in the holes. I think i will have to take this shame :( god i hope i can get those out :|

Any suggestions??

Thank you for the quick reply.

And the tips are stuck in the holes. I think i will have to take this shame :( god i hope i can get those out :|

Any suggestions??

Also, another thing i would like to note, the bike ran pretty well, even with the adjustment screws in this position :huh:

I have new boots on order right now. I kinda figured the cracked, 31yr old ones needed to be swapped out. Because of this I can't check it again, will have to wait until those come in.

I really hope these needle's will come out and I can just order new ones.

Heres to hoping.

happened to mine, twice!!

grind a nail down real fine then tap them through the top with a pin hammer. this will push them through the hole, the hole will be bigger, but my carbs still run ok!

drewps

grind a nail down real fine then tap them through the top with a pin hammer. this will push them through the hole, the hole will be bigger, but my carbs still run ok!

drewps

:)

Right on, I've looked around and it seems like you're the "carb master" around here. Thanks for the advice, will post back here to let you know how it worked, that may not be for a couple of weeks though.

drewps

Alright, i got those little bits out, i have a link to some pics here to show you the damage done. Just a few scuffs, i think with a new set of screws it should be fine.

The method that my uncle and I(mostly my uncle) used was going from the inside and pushing the bits back up through the hole. Used a heat gun to warm it up and a nail to push it back through. The nail was set up across the inside of the carb with the tip on the bit of brass. There was enough room on the other side to get a flathead screwdriver in there to give some leverage to pushing the piece back.

Thank you for the help. Will post again when ive got all the parts together(in up to a month) to let you know how its running.

Edited by galexanderj

Alright, i got those little bits out, i have a link to some pics here to show you the damage done. Just a few scuffs, i think with a new set of screws it should be fine.

The method that my uncle and I(mostly my uncle) used was going from the inside and pushing the bits back up through the hole. Used a heat gun to warm it up and a nail to push it back through. The nail was set up across the inside of the carb with the tip on the bit of brass. There was enough room on the other side to get a flathead screwdriver in there to give some leverage to pushing the piece back.

Thank you for the help. Will post again when ive got all the parts together(in up to a month) to let you know how its running.

that was lucky, none of mine would do that. the brass tip just snapped off!

good to go then, see ya...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online