light scratches on tank

Crunch
This post is 5031 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ive started to ride my YBR 125 into work daily and started noticing some light scratches on the tank (where you would normally stick a tank guard) but i have no idea how they got there! or if they were there when i brought the bike. I would just stick a tank guard on it but i do not like the look of them and wanted to keep the tank as normal. I saw on the net Maguiars Scratch X which by the you tube clips (not sure if its just a gimmik) takes light scratches and scuff off your paintwork?.

just wondering if anyone has used this or knows a better way to deal with light scratches?

Cheers

Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Maguiars Scratch X is top stuff most professional detailers use it on their cars make sure you buy a buffing kit as it will do a better job :)

I've used it, did a good job on the surface scratches, if it's any deeper then that I would go with a tank protector. You could try one of those, a clear tank protector, eg. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Motrax-Aegis-Motorcycle-Tank-pad-Clear-New-free-P-P-/190370080051?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c52f0e533

Cheers Guys

i went with the T-Cut version of it as the halfords i went to didnt have the scratch x one. I hope it will do the same job?. yeah i do have an electric buffer at home so hopefully i can get these light scratches out!. Will look at those tank protectors too as they would be good for nipping to work and back.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

My jacket caused the same scuffs on the tank. I used G3 liquid I got from work (it's like industrial strength T-cut) and then used a self adhesive clear sticker by 3M that I cut to shape to stop it from scratching again.

Seems to be working fine.

I scuffed my old YBR's tank a few times as well, it was simply where my foot used to catch it getting off and on every day.

If it is a little deeper than Scratch X will handle (have used it, works for light stuff), I have had success wet sanding with 2000 grit, the going to rubbing compound, then polishing, finished with a wax with cleaners. Word to the wise- go easy with the sanding and if it is clear coated, be careful not to go through the clear. Scratch X is like a polishing compound, so pretty much any polishing compound will do what it does.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online