Dt 125R HELP HELP HELP !!!

This post is 5108 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Please Help Me ! I have just bought a dt125r 2001 13000 miles. The choke lever is allways on the up position. it wont start if i put it down and when the bikes running if i put the choke lever down it seems to put the choke on, revs higher and smokes alot, is this correct ?!

it also seems to hold back at higher revs and just splutters and seems like it wants to go faster but cant. im not sure if the bike has been de-restricted or not or tampered with in anyway but doesnt seem right to me.

i have changed the air filter and put in a new plug with no change to the running.

i thought that usually choke on is up and off is down ??? is this why im having running difficulties ?

yesterday it cut out on me and wouldnt start again. i took it to my local garage and he put a new plug in and it now starts and runs as before, but the old plug was black with soot and looked knackered. the guy said it seems to be running too rich and sent me on my way.

I just want it to be correct and run as it was intended.

Any responses gratefully received !

2stroke Ray ! <_<

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Please Help Me ! I have just bought a dt125r 2001 13000 miles. The choke lever is allways on the up position. it wont start if i put it down and when the bikes running if i put the choke lever down it seems to put the choke on, revs higher and smokes alot, is this correct ?!

it also seems to hold back at higher revs and just splutters and seems like it wants to go faster but cant. im not sure if the bike has been de-restricted or not or tampered with in anyway but doesnt seem right to me.

i have changed the air filter and put in a new plug with no change to the running.

i thought that usually choke on is up and off is down ??? is this why im having running difficulties ?

yesterday it cut out on me and wouldnt start again. i took it to my local garage and he put a new plug in and it now starts and runs as before, but the old plug was black with soot and looked knackered. the guy said it seems to be running too rich and sent me on my way.

I just want it to be correct and run as it was intended.

Any responses gratefully received !

2stroke Ray ! <_<

Yeah, as the guy at the garage said, the bikes running far too rich. You'll need to adjust the screw on the carb. Best bet is get yourself a haynes manual and go through the fault diagnosis. If the screw doesnt work then you'll need to find out what jet you have in. It might be too big.