1982 XS400 Heritage Special

01ps
This post is 5091 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

New to forum, but will probably be looking for lots of advise as I get this bike running and customized. I am planning on a bobber project, but before that I want to get everything running well and working properly so I can put it through a government inspection. Then out comes the grinder. The bike has not been registered for 18yrs, and has been sitting inside all that time. It only has 3600kms on it, and has been owned by one person. Howerver, it was not stored properly and of course the carbs are fouled up pretty good.

I downloaded a manual for the xs360/400 series of bikes, but I need a little help identifying the exact model I have. The owner had no original paperwork, so I don't have a lot of information to work with.

Can anyone tell me if I have a D,E, 2E, 2F, G/SG, H ?

I need to get the float bowl settings and stuff so I can get it running better.

Also, these are the symptoms I am dealing with. I have good compression on both cylinders. I have dismantled and cleaned the carbs (maybe not good enough, probably going to do it again). I have cleaned the tank and pickup. The bike will start and idle pretty good with the choke, but it shuts off immediatly when the choke is shut off. Also, if you can get it to rev a bit is backfires out the exhaust and sometime back through the carb. I can seem to get any more than 6000 rpm out of it either.

I am thinking either the vacuum operated petcok is not supplying enough fuel, or the float bowls are not set properly.

Any other suggestions?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

New to forum, but will probably be looking for lots of advise as I get this bike running and customized. I am planning on a bobber project, but before that I want to get everything running well and working properly so I can put it through a government inspection. Then out comes the grinder. The bike has not been registered for 18yrs, and has been sitting inside all that time. It only has 3600kms on it, and has been owned by one person. Howerver, it was not stored properly and of course the carbs are fouled up pretty good.

I downloaded a manual for the xs360/400 series of bikes, but I need a little help identifying the exact model I have. The owner had no original paperwork, so I don't have a lot of information to work with.

Can anyone tell me if I have a D,E, 2E, 2F, G/SG, H ?

I need to get the float bowl settings and stuff so I can get it running better.

Also, these are the symptoms I am dealing with. I have good compression on both cylinders. I have dismantled and cleaned the carbs (maybe not good enough, probably going to do it again). I have cleaned the tank and pickup. The bike will start and idle pretty good with the choke, but it shuts off immediatly when the choke is shut off. Also, if you can get it to rev a bit is backfires out the exhaust and sometime back through the carb. I can seem to get any more than 6000 rpm out of it either.

I am thinking either the vacuum operated petcok is not supplying enough fuel, or the float bowls are not set properly.

Any other suggestions?

:welcome: 01ps

float level could do with resetting, and i think that you still have crud in the carbs. ultrasonic cleaning is best, i'd give the carbs to a pro carb cleaner and they can do wonders.

if you give the first 3 letters/numbers of the engine number i could tell ya what you have (prob sg or h)

Any other suggestions?

Go to www.cycleorings.com and get a set of 4 o ring kits for the carbs. you'll only need 2 of the kits but for 15 dollars it can't be beat.

Another suggestion: customize something else besides a well preserved low mileage XS400. There are plenty of bikes out there that are more suitable than an all original garaged kept bike. But as usual it's yours to do what you wish. It would be worth quite a bit in original form running well. Bobbed, chopped and customized it's not/

:welcome: 01ps

float level could do with resetting, and i think that you still have crud in the carbs. ultrasonic cleaning is best, i'd give the carbs to a pro carb cleaner and they can do wonders.

if you give the first 3 letters/numbers of the engine number i could tell ya what you have (prob sg or h)

Thanks for your help.

The code is 14W 000950

I'm gonna go over the carbs again today.

Had great success with the carbs today. Cleaned them again, found out I missed a little screen in the fuel supply tube for one thing, laquered almost solid. The petcok diaphram was no good, so I just removed it. Blew out all the other orifices and set the floats the best I could (specs didn't seem to match, but at least they are even now). Goes like hell now! Well, as fast as a 400 goes like hell.

Thanks for your help.

The code is 14W 000950

I'm gonna go over the carbs again today.

can't see anything with that model code i have 4R5, 4G8, 5G8, xs400H. and 4R4 xs400SH. 4G5 xs400SE. 4G8 XS400SG. 17K XS400RH.

can you post a picture?

cheers

• 1 month later...

can't see anything with that model code i have 4R5, 4G8, 5G8, xs400H. and 4R4 xs400SH. 4G5 xs400SE. 4G8 XS400SG. 17K XS400RH.

can you post a picture?

cheers

Hi drewpy. I have been trying to figure out what my model number is on my XS400. The code is 4R5. I think it's an '81 but I'm not even sure of that. Thanks for the help!

can you post a picture?

cheers

Hi drewpy. I have been trying to figure out what my model number is on my XS400. The code is 4R5. I think it's an '81 but I'm not even sure of that. Thanks for the help!