Confused about L plates on big bikes??

Antz
This post is 5104 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok this may sound really stupid, so i say sorry in advance :unsure: ...but i have seen bigger bikes ( i.e bigger than 125cc ) going around with L plates and no instructors?...i mean i thought you could only ride 125cc with L plates?....this has been bugging me for a while so am i being daft or am i missing something?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok this may sound really stupid, so i say sorry in advance :unsure: ...but i have seen bigger bikes ( i.e bigger than 125cc ) going around with L plates and no instructors?...i mean i thought you could only ride 125cc with L plates?....this has been bugging me for a while so am i being daft or am i missing something?

they must be restricted to 33bhp from what i got told from mates

Actually I think it's a restriction to 14 bhp if you are on L plates following a CBT??? I might be wrong with that but I thought it was 33 bhp after passing your A2 test.

You can ride a bike that is over 45bhp (i think) doing DAS training on L,s provided you have a qualified instructor with you, on your own it must be 125 and 14bhp, and after passing your test you are restricted too 33bhp unless you have taken DAS

i have seen bigger bikes ( i.e bigger than 125cc ) going around with L plates and no instructors?...

The instructor will be somewhere, as long as they are in radio contact it's accepted. I've even seen the local examiner following guys on test in a car!

Without the instructor, it's a 50 at 16 and a 125 at 17 and above. With an instructor, doing DAS training, I think it's any size bike - so you could use your own R1 if you wanted to!

Hmmm...the thing is i have seen ( example ) a 650 honda sitting out side asda 2009 plate with L plates as well?..i only passed 3 weeks ago my self so i no what you can and can't do...< blank stare >.. :unsure:

Hmmm...the thing is i have seen ( example ) a 650 honda sitting out side asda 2009 plate with L plates as well?..i only passed 3 weeks ago my self so i no what you can and can't do...< blank stare >.. :unsure:

Instructor using bike too go shopping??

Possible :D