Xvs 125 Shifting to third and upwards

warriory2k
This post is 5137 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I started my xvs up last week after about 5 months and had it on a bike jack. The gears changed no problem. I started up this week and cannot get it above second gear. First second neutral is all fine. I rode it up for a mile to warm it up thinking it may be the clutch plates but still no joy even when engine is hot. Any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have u tried adjusting ur clutch? mine used to lock up on a long ride and stick in one gear then i found out the clutch cable had stretched and loosened it.

hope this helps if not iv got a load of parts if u want to buy some cheep. the con rod in mine went about a year ago and i couldnt get it fixed.

. Paul.

Change the oil & filter.

My mate spoke to his friend who said it's to do with the shifting rod sticking due to standing and condensation getting in. He said force it in which I did'nt like. So I eased it in by putting trying to push the pedal up and releasing and eventually in went into third. From then 4th and 5th was no problem. I had it on a bike lift and ran it in each gear. Took it for a spin and now shifting is no problem. Just to add the oil and filter was changed last June.

LAST JUNE??!!

OK, so it was changed, ridden a bit and has been left standing for 5 MONTHS....

What happens to a cup of coffee if you leave it standing for 5 months?

Trust me - Change the oil.

yeah id say go with Ttaskmaster! poor oil is what destroyed my engine!! it was only 4 years old and only did 14000 miles! dont let it end up in boxes in the shed like mine is!