77 XS400, first post

exess4
This post is 4435 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just acquired a 1977 (title says 78), seems to be completely original (read "old"), actually LOOKS alright, even if it doesn't run. Paint original burgundy? is in very decent condition, wire spoke wheels w/drum brakes. So far haven't even bothered with turning it over; that might be the first question also since only kick-start, noticed no electric start and thought they all came with that. Also wire rims and drum brakes, does that mean earliest or economy bike?

Anyway I don't know anything about the thing (have alot to read here) and also never restored anything, haven't even ridden for 15 years when I bought a new ZX-6. Reborn enthusiast with a new and different appreciation for the vintage bikes - not just narrow-focused "gotta be a sport bike".

So far only thing i've done is to remove stuff (tank, seat, mufflers) and cleaning the crud and grime and dirt. Got the bike for $100. Was told it just stopped running 2 yrs ago and he bought new points for it and still doesn't start. If it sat for 2 years i'll take my time with kicking it. With battery, noticed blinker relay bad. Also noticed headlight does not turn on, does it need to be running? Didn't think so. BTW turning the key first click tail lights and (non-blinking) blinkers work, then 2nd click of the key nothing, is that normal. This decent looking non-runner may have some serious wiring problems. Have fixed one thing besides cleaning; brake lights now work. I will have many questions to follow, mean time I will be checking out all the posts. Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum exess4

have a ganders at the sticky at the top of the classics section as there are loads of information there for you to read up.

Wellcome to the Y.O.C. ,exess4 !

:beerchug:

• 1 year later...

I feel a certain loyalty to Yamaha Owners Club since all that i was capable of grasping -and still- i learned from starting here. I've been spending more time ass 226 on xs400dotcom. I should re-introduce myself and gotta say big love on YOC from me.

I forgot that the owner told me it hadn't run for 2 years, interesting. Most of those questions have been answered I believe.

To my recollection I joined the forum the same evening I bought the bike, April 6 2010. Since then? Pretty much plain gave up for a while after I realized how much it needed and how much unknown amount of money it would require from me. But it was making me sick looking at it so at least I would buy a part here and there and eventually a pile of stuff, new stuff, needed stuff.

To shorten this i had the motor rebuilt for 1 1/2 years, then gave up looking at the entire thing, then this year, armed with a mountain of new parts and things (still not close to enough), i resolved to start going on it Jan 2.

So by end of January motor was in, by end of February I wanted it running. As of March 1 it got running and is a story in itself. I carefully looked things over, it started on very first kick - it is Kickstart only. BUT after less than a minute the choke/enrichener needed turning down and it died. Then partially warm it wouldn't start until I messed with the points a little.

OK, So it runs!!!!!

It was a long time to see this day

I overtightened exh header bolt and a small exhaust leak. It does in fact have an oil leak from the Cam Seal behind the points. And from the exhaust it looks to run real rich. The headlight does not work. The instrument lights also do not work. And there is one question i might have considering the timing/points. But I am elated and ecstatic and it even goes through all the gears - i was expecting it to as i had it apart down to splitting the case, but i got it and the clutch lever was replaced with one that didn't fit right and the gearshift was replaced with a short little thing and a bolt with a 'S' for Suzuki on it - huge red flag if I'd have known enough to see that. It turns out that was no problem but MYRIAD AND PLETHORA of problems APLENTY. Too much to speak of and mind boggling.

In short for my first attempt at rebuilding something (a few mistakes of course!) to bringTHIS once POS to life and do my part in saving one little bike from becoming a donor and then no more, almost satisfying.

I didn't take nearly enough 'before' pictures. Only took 3 the day I bought it.

inxs003.jpg

Then there's this, some may or may not recall. My own doing! And was ready to give in and forget the whole thing at that point. After posting the pic on YOC a certain moderator was encouraging and I kept the faith. Kind of.

kicked005.jpg

But this was today. :hyper: Learned that I have to replace the cam seal - oil by the points and smoking. Also a small exhaust leak, oops. And it seems to run rich from exhaust, needs fine tuning. (also garage is 30 degrees F here). The video is spastic but i wanted to keep it at one minute.

th_MOV00376.jpg

BTW the little S on the gear lever bolt is correct and original :)

Haha, that's PO after dropping it thought he was being original. Didn't think of that, very original :idea:

When I removed it nearly 2 yrs ago now, I knew I was possibly looking at an ALL original bike, HA

DSC00392.jpg