XS400 Cold Starting Problem

63-Coupe
This post is 5161 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just picked up this bike last Fall so have not had much time to poke around it nor do I know much about its history. It's an 82 XS400 Heritage Special and I was having an issue getting it started when cold. I usually had to boost it to get it to turn over fast enough then when it did start it only ran on one cylinder for about 30 seconds or so before the second one kicked in. After that the bike would idle smoothly and run and pull strong with no misses. It also started and ran just fine when warm. Did not have time to investigate any more on it before it had to go into Winter storage but it will be coming out of hibernation soon and I am wondering where I should start looking into the problem. Beyond the obvious of making sure the battery is good does anybody have any ideas on where the most logical places are to look first?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd do a service and tune up as these bikes are reliable.

If you're still having problems, its usually the crud from stale fuel in the carbs

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online