Moving to London

Venetian_baztard
This post is 5161 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there. I currently ride a yamaha fazer 600 and I lost my job recently due to cut backs in the way the public sector is being funded so I'm moving to London to get a job where positions like mine are better funded- However I don't want to get political. I just want to know what riding in London is like full time.

I'm gonna be living in Wood Green on a temp basis for a bit. I heard that bike theft is a pretty big problem in London. At the moment I have no way of keeping my bike indoors, but when I move again I might be able to keep it indoors.

Anyone got any tips for riding in London? Should I invest in any other security devices? Or should I maybe keep my bike locked up at my parent's house and just use.... *bites lips* PUBLIC TRANSPORT :sigh2: ????

I currently have a bike cover, boss padlock alarm, disc lock and an almax security chain. My bike is locked under a lit lampost infront of my house. The area here is very quite though, not at all like london.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello mate im from london area get a ground anker and a thick chain lock and get a lock that goes over the front disc brake and an alarm with a disabliser built it if alarm goes off or sum1 tried hot wiring the bike.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Where i live is reasonably quiet, didn't stop my bike going though (the chain was cut through) and London is supposedly one of the worst places for bike theft.

If I were you i would take the public transport option. If you have to take your bike make sure your security devices are upto it. 

From what i have read about chains on the Thatcham site, as long as it has links thicker than 19 mm the chance of it being cut are slim. As long as you can stop it being picked up and put in a van chances are as good as can be against theft. But then there is always the risk of parts being stolen, i have heard of exhausts/fairings etc being taken during the night so a cover to hide the bike make/model may help a little also.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the move.

Vez.

Oh and you might need one of these    :unsure:

kevlarcovertbodyarmourv.jpg 

Unfortunately chains are pretty useless again mechanical thefts like angle grinders and so on. My lock broke awhile back and I rented an angle grinder from the hire shop in a bid to cut it off. It went through the lock within about 5 seconds.

It might not be so bad when I keep my bike indoors, but I don't feel safe leaving it on the streets of London. There's soo many thieves about in London constantly prowling for opportunities.

The almax security chain boasts to be one of the most secure chains on the market but it's still unless against angle grinders.

I got an alarm from the internet but installing it is a lot harder than I expected, the instructions want me to cut some of the wiring out of my bike and solder the new alarm parts in. I haven't done any soldering since I left school so I'm not going to attempt to fit it myself.

As mentioned before I don't think I will take my motorbike down there until I get a place where I can keep it indoors.

Guest MaD.VeZ

Unfortunately chains are pretty useless again mechanical thefts like angle grinders and so on. My lock broke awhile back and I rented an angle grinder from the hire shop in a bid to cut it off. It went through the lock within about 5 seconds.

It might not be so bad when I keep my bike indoors, but I don't feel safe leaving it on the streets of London. There's soo many thieves about in London constantly prowling for opportunities.

The almax security chain boasts to be one of the most secure chains on the market but it's still unless against angle grinders.

I got an alarm from the internet but installing it is a lot harder than I expected, the instructions want me to cut some of the wiring out of my bike and solder the new alarm parts in. I haven't done any soldering since I left school so I'm not going to attempt to fit it myself.

As mentioned before I don't think I will take my motorbike down there until I get a place where I can keep it indoors.

I meant to say with bolt cutters, my bad. The opportunists are less likely to have a grinder as they will bolt cutters.

At the end of the day if someone wants your bike badly enough they will take it, even in doors. All you can do is make it as difficult as possible for them. And maybe get yourself some erm support. I hear these are pretty useful for thief deterrents http://www.crossbows...tt/commando.php :unsure: or a rabbit with big sharp pointy teeth.(i mean dog :unsure: )

I highly recommend this one for a simple to install alarm/immobilizer http://www.motorbike...m.co.uk/node/48 (no wires to cut and £33) phone them up and state you make and model of bike and you will find them very helpful.

Vez.

Moving to London, taking a Tazer with me

take lots of batteries :blink:

I  highly recommend this one for a simple to install alarm/immobilizer http://www.motorbike...m.co.uk/node/48 (no wires to cut and £33) phone them up and state you make and model of bike and you will find them very helpful.

Vez.

Cheers man, I will definitely look into that alarm. I know what you're saying too, if someone wants it that badly they will have it away. Hopefully a 2002 model with a lot of anti-theft devices on it won't be such a invite for absolute scoundrels.

i have a hardered steel chain apparently it cnt be cut using a grinder also use a disc lock and have a alarm that disables the engine if hot wired or is set off that should deter or prevent them from trying.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online