Making on Documentary on the Yamaha DT125 from 1968-present

AndyDtr08
This post is 5151 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've been speaking to people in the General section as well as the offroad/dual sport bikes section about the yamaha dt125's. I own 3 myself and as my final major project for my university course I am embarking on a journey from 1968-2008. No, I don't have a time machine! I'm talking ofcourse about the Yamaha DT125. The last were produced in 2007, being replaced with the wr125 4 stroke. *shakes fists*.

Here is a quick taster of the kind of thing I'll be producing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lefagftIkk

This is my DT. I filmed it in a studio last week and as you can see the editing is nowhere near complete. It's just to illustrate the type of filming i want to include in the documentary.

So.....I'm looking for someone who also loves DT's and owned one during the air cooled period of its life. I've been recommended this section of the forum, and cannot beleive i hadn't thought of it before. My dad owns a Suzuki GT750 and is part of the VJMC. I've been out of a few rides with them and plan to also contact them to try and find people. If anyone is interested at all, please let me know!

If you have an early DT but do not want to feature in the film, yet do not mind me coming by to get some shots to use i would greatly appreciate it.

Im doing alot of research into the earlier DT's but having trouble finding much in depth. If any of you have anything that might be useful, anything at all, i would be very grateful!

I look forward to your replies.

Andrew

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I've been speaking to people in the General section as well as the offroad/dual sport bikes section about the yamaha dt125's. I own 3 myself and as my final major project for my university course I am embarking on a journey from 1968-2008. No, I don't have a time machine! I'm talking ofcourse about the Yamaha DT125. The last were produced in 2007, being replaced with the wr125 4 stroke. *shakes fists*.

Here is a quick taster of the kind of thing I'll be producing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lefagftIkk

This is my DT. I filmed it in a studio last week and as you can see the editing is nowhere near complete. It's just to illustrate the type of filming i want to include in the documentary.

So.....I'm looking for someone who also loves DT's and owned one during the air cooled period of its life. I've been recommended this section of the forum, and cannot beleive i hadn't thought of it before. My dad owns a Suzuki GT750 and is part of the VJMC. I've been out of a few rides with them and plan to also contact them to try and find people. If anyone is interested at all, please let me know!

If you have an early DT but do not want to feature in the film, yet do not mind me coming by to get some shots to use i would greatly appreciate it.

Im doing alot of research into the earlier DT's but having trouble finding much in depth. If any of you have anything that might be useful, anything at all, i would be very grateful!

I look forward to your replies.

Andrew

Actually Yamaha first introduced the DT 125 in 1974, the prior 125cc Enduro models were AT. Their production ran from 1969-1973.

Thanks, so AT is just the model name like DT?

Kind of, the DT name was first used on the DT1 in the States, that was a 250. The DT1-b came to europe in 1969 and the sucess of that led to the whole family of DT's from 50 to 400cc.

The AT was the 125 bike that preceeded it and took on the DT (Dirt Trail, i think,) name and the characteristics to complete the family line.

The bike that got the DT125 really into the modern mindset was the DT175, which was the CT to begin with and ran alonside the AT. It took on the DT name at the same time and really took off from 77/78 when the engines got CDI and the , at the time, groundbreaking cantilever suspention giving masses of sus travel. I know you want to trace the 125 but the 175 is only different in the fact that the engine is bigger by 50cc. But at the time we were in 250 learner laws and (i may get shot for this :blink: ) the 175 was arguably the better/ more advanced bike. When faced with a 125 or a 175 choice its pretty easy to see why the aircooled 125 is a lot rarer, though not notably.

The aircooled heyday was quickly destroyed by the competition wiseing up and upgrading their kit to keep up, DT175/125's were practically 2 (sarcasm) for one by 1983/4 when the DT125LC appeared. Essentially a tarted aircooled frame (a lot of the cycleparts will swap directly) but the bodywork and the engine were new. That brought the DT back into the game and around 88 changed again much more completely though, to more or less what you see today with the monocross suspention and front disk.

You may or may not know that The DTLC frame with a 175 aircooled motor continued to be produced in Australia and Asia untill recently, around 2007/8 i think.

There have been updates since, around 2003 was the last of any consequence i believe when they screwed the nut on the emissions and indirectly made it harder to de-restrict. Something that i think was a backwards step. The ease (compared to others like kawasaki and especially Honda) that the bikes could be made to give far more power than they were legally meant to is the main draw i beleive, especially when the bikes long production and easy spares are taken into account.

I'm sure any errors will be pointed out by other shy retiring members, I've had my DT since i was 17, bought in the pub for 25 quid :lol:

any good to you?

Kind of, the DT name was first used on the DT1 in the States, that was a 250. The DT1-b came to europe in 1969 and the sucess of that led to the whole family of DT's from 50 to 400cc.

The AT was the 125 bike that preceeded it and took on the DT (Dirt Trail, i think,) name and the characteristics to complete the family line.

The bike that got the DT125 really into the modern mindset was the DT175, which was the CT to begin with and ran alonside the AT. It took on the DT name at the same time and really took off from 77/78 when the engines got CDI and the , at the time, groundbreaking cantilever suspention giving masses of sus travel. I know you want to trace the 125 but the 175 is only different in the fact that the engine is bigger by 50cc. But at the time we were in 250 learner laws and (i may get shot for this :blink: ) the 175 was arguably the better/ more advanced bike. When faced with a 125 or a 175 choice its pretty easy to see why the aircooled 125 is a lot rarer, though not notably.

The aircooled heyday was quickly destroyed by the competition wiseing up and upgrading their kit to keep up, DT175/125's were practically 2 (sarcasm) for one by 1983/4 when the DT125LC appeared. Essentially a tarted aircooled frame (a lot of the cycleparts will swap directly) but the bodywork and the engine were new. That brought the DT back into the game and around 88 changed again much more completely though, to more or less what you see today with the monocross suspention and front disk.

You may or may not know that The DTLC frame with a 175 aircooled motor continued to be produced in Australia and Asia untill recently, around 2007/8 i think.

There have been updates since, around 2003 was the last of any consequence i believe when they screwed the nut on the emissions and indirectly made it harder to de-restrict. Something that i think was a backwards step. The ease (compared to others like kawasaki and especially Honda) that the bikes could be made to give far more power than they were legally meant to is the main draw i beleive, especially when the bikes long production and easy spares are taken into account.

I'm sure any errors will be pointed out by other shy retiring members, I've had my DT since i was 17, bought in the pub for 25 quid :lol:

any good to you?

Absolutely fantastic!

Would you be interested in featuring? Im still on the search for a character but not having too much luck. Is all of that from your own knowledge?

Absolutely fantastic!

Would you be interested in featuring? Im still on the search for a character but not having too much luck. Is all of that from your own knowledge?

Can't really see my ugly mug worth a 6 hour round trip.

Its partly from books, personal experience, especially the aircooled (as i've got one) and the dtlc was the weapon of choice when i was 16/17 around 1988ahem. MaD is more up to speed on the liquid cooled stuff but i like to think i can hold my own on the aircooled stuff. Oldgit is another DT nut he's smearing the line buy having the aircooled and the LC although he's 'up in't ills'. :D

Can't really see my ugly mug worth a 6 hour round trip.

Its partly from books, personal experience, especially the aircooled (as i've got one) and the dtlc was the weapon of choice when i was 16/17 around 1988ahem. MaD is more up to speed on the liquid cooled stuff but i like to think i can hold my own on the aircooled stuff. Oldgit is another DT nut he's smearing the line buy having the aircooled and the LC although he's 'up in't ills'. :D

Travelling isnt a problem. Im from northampton originally and have relatives all over the country so i tend to be going around to see people alot. Where abouts are you? Even if it were just for an interview it would be worth the trip in my eyes. You seem to know alot though and i would love some shots of an older aircooled model. I havnt yet worked out the full content of the film, suffice to say that the allowance for the project is 15minutes and my passion for the bikes and the length of time they were in production makes this more of a limit than a target.

I dont want to pressure anyone into an interview or more if they don't want to but at the same time i dont want you to feel that the distance is an issue. I have a car as well as the DT and know the roads well. I need to make this film the best i possibly can as it will be my ticket into the industry.

Let me know if you're up for it! :D

I had one, bloody fast it was too couldn't keep the front wheel down!

Bought brand spanking in 1989 (blue) to get me through the traffic in London, had it un-restricted good for 90 mph with my head down.

Happy days!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online