Xs400 Seca making new engine noise during revs

nedj10
This post is 5155 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Help please!

my seca has started making a whirring noise I can best describe as the sound a loose powersteering belt makes on car when the seca's engine revs. I thought it might be the oil I was running not working well with our winter temps so I changed the oil to a 10w30 non synthetic and it quieted down for a day or two but has come right back, the noise sounds like its coming from the cylinder side of the engine but as its internal theres no real signs I can diagnose.

any ideas would be helpful

thanks

Ned Williams

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you checked to make shure oil is making it's way to the top of the head?

Not to sound stupid but how? pull the tank pull the head cover and see if oil squirts onto the valves?

thanks

Ned Williams

there is a check bolt on the RH side of the head . have you downloaded the manual ? it's stickied @ the top of the thread's for the classics http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/topic/16081-xs400-links/ . loosen the oil galllery bolt on the RH cylinder. start the engine keep idling until oil begins to seep out . if no oil come's out then you have a problem. the bolt is on the RH cylinder just under the cylinder head plug . i think it's like 10mm with a philipshead center

Ok I found the bolt, pulled it, oil dribbled out in a nice steady stream. Now the odd part, the noise started up and with the bike in the garage at idle it sounded like it was come from the speedo? I pulled the light and the gauge back, and disconnected the speedo cable..no noise? Put it all back together, and its been idling for 15 mins without noise...I will take it out for a spin in a bit to see if I can get it to do it again.

odd

Ned

Ok I found the bolt, pulled it, oil dribbled out in a nice steady stream. Now the odd part, the noise started up and with the bike in the garage at idle it sounded like it was come from the speedo? I pulled the light and the gauge back, and disconnected the speedo cable..no noise? Put it all back together, and its been idling for 15 mins without noise...I will take it out for a spin in a bit to see if I can get it to do it again.

odd

Ned

maybe it just needs its annual oiling!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online