White Lining

Jayney
This post is 5188 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Can anybody tell me the proper rules on white lining? Having looked on the internet, the rules seem to vary according to which organisation posted it. I know undertakings a big no no, but what about when in slow moving traffic on the motorway - if your passing between the middle and outside lane, isnt that classed as undertaking?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
Guest MaD.VeZ

Hi, From what I have read on forums about Filtering, as long as its done so safely its not a offense punishable by the Police, but different Police forces take a different view of it.

Personally I don't think being in between either lanes 1 and 2 or lanes 2 and 3 is classed as undertaking, I think it only applies when you are undertaking in an empty lane that a vehicle could decide to move into and not expect another vehicle to be.

Found these on advanced driving Uk forum.

1 You don’t cross over or straddle a solid centre white line system.

2 You don’t overtake after a “No Overtaking” sign.

3 You do not overtake the lead vehicle within the confines of the zigzags of a pedestrian/pelican crossing as it may have stopped to allow pedestrians to cross.

4 No danger is caused to other road users and no vehicle is caused to alter course or speed.

I think only number 4 really applies to motorway riding, but I'm only on a CBT so don't see many motorways so could be wrong.

The real worry with filtering is IF you have an accident, then a judge will likely put the larger portion of blame onto you straight away. So i think the best bet is to use your judgment depending on the situation and be safe.

If you want a definitive answer, phone your local police station and speak to the traffic division and they will get the book out and try to give you a better answer, this has worked for me with other road issues i have had.

Vez.

Yes IN THE UK you should always overtake on the right of a vehicle unless you are in traffic and the queue you are in is moving faster tthan then one too your right. or the vehicle is signalling to turn right and you can safely pass them on the inside, but just be careful because mirrors are a waste of space on most cars now because they are never used apart fromn too apply makeup etc, and in motorway traffic cars tend to just change lane without signalling or checking to see if anything else is beside them, as sonme stupid old fart found out recently when hestarted to pull out when i was halfway up the side of his car with my truck, truck wheel nuts make a good mess of car bodywork, good job i was on the ball and gave the thick old coot a blast on the horn and woke him up

Merv

Hi! Thanks for the welcome - and the advice!

I guess it is a bit of a grey area really, so will be careful!.... One more point - have been thinking of a change of bike for a while now (put a tad too many miles on the poor old thing!), Is the new (or newish) R6 as aggresive to ride as a lot of people make out? I mean how different will it be going from a 2003 model to a 2008ish one? Again - have heard mixed reviews, I know a test ride is one answer, but is there anything I should be aware of?

One person's 'aggresive ride' is another's 'tame piece of junk'.

Test ride is the ONLY real answer.

As for filtering - This is different from white lining.

White-lining is riding along the white line for no good reason... or just to be a cock.

Filtering is making progress through slow-moving traffic, usually between lanes.

There is a 20-20 rule of thumb: No more than 20mph faster than the traffic and not filtering if traffic is going faster than 20mph. This means that you'll never be going faster than 40mph and, in the case of stopped traffic, 20mph. So if the traffic is doing 10, you're no faster than 30 etc etc...

The theory on motorways is that going between lanes 2 and 3 is safer, since people change between these less frequently. A lot of drivers suddenly swap lanes to get ready for an exit, or to just overtake that truck in front.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online