Starter problems

steve-y
This post is 5179 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

HI all

Just starting out in the biking world and i have purchased a TZR 125. All was well but with bike, running nice and everything as normal as could be.

However, I returned to the bike next day to discover that when turning the ignition on and attempting to firing it up via the start button, nothing.. i did however manage to jump start it and being a new, that was a pig to do..

I checked what i could, battery - fully charged, horn and indicators - both worked fine. Then moved onto head lights, nothing and the both foot and hand brake nothing.. as well as the igintion start button..

I've looked at the wiring diagram in the hope that i could make sense of what might be the cause, but i'm no wizard and have basic knowledge of electric's.

So i'm hoping that you fine people on here maybe able to point me in the right direction... please

thanks in advance

ps new to forums too so be kind

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

HI all

Just starting out in the biking world and i have purchased a TZR 125. All was well but with bike, running nice and everything as normal as could be.

However, I returned to the bike next day to discover that when turning the ignition on and attempting to firing it up via the start button, nothing.. i did however manage to jump start it and being a new, that was a pig to do..

I checked what i could, battery - fully charged, horn and indicators - both worked fine. Then moved onto head lights, nothing and the both foot and hand brake nothing.. as well as the igintion start button..

I've looked at the wiring diagram in the hope that i could make sense of what might be the cause, but i'm no wizard and have basic knowledge of electric's.

So i'm hoping that you fine people on here maybe able to point me in the right direction... please

thanks in advance

ps new to forums too so be kind

Sounds like something simple. Possibly a bad connection or broken wire. I'd be looking to the broken wire/ bad connection i think as the lights and horn will be fed from different circuits but they are i believe on the same switchgear and that connector would be where i'd start. (after making sure on the fuses just in case).

I have little exp on the leccy starts on the TZR, personally i think its a waste of time on a stroker and in the days of lightweight is god why saddle a bike with all the extra gubbins to make it go on a button.

when turning the ignition on and attempting to firing it up via the start button, nothing..

When you say nothing, do you mean nothing, or is there something, such as warning lights, sidelights??

or is it totally dead?

side stand switch -located at the sidestand funnily enough :D make sure it is not sticking in when the sidestand is flipped up ;)

could also be a bad connection at the start button.

also check she is out of gear as there may be some sort of cut-off so as she doesnt start in gear and jump of the stand, this would instead of a side-stand switch ;)

Do you get any idiot lights, powervalve noise etc.

I am asuming you meant BUMP start not jump start.

Alot to take in and I'll be checking quite a few things by the looks of things..

Just to answer a few questions.

I do hear the power valve fire up when i turn the key and the display lights (including the neutral light).

Bump start is what i meant -- sorry ---

I haven't checked the side stand, but i when i attempt to start it, its always up and like i previously explained pressing / pushing the starter button gives me nothing..

I've been out to have a brief look at it today and the left side indicators decided to play up a tad today = when pressed it decided to flash in hazard mode for a while, then decided to go back to norm..

As far as i am aware with regards the fuses, it only has the one which is situated next to the battery and if this had blown, then i would not of got anything from horns etc. Then again i maybe wrong.

I'll have a quick look over the wires again and i hoping a pal from work can do a quick circuit check for me... but from the feedback here, i am hoping its something simple...

I'm going to check the earth leads, as someone suggested that maybe the cause.. apparently it has numerous ones across the bike...

Thanks again people and i'll keep you all posted on progress

steve

Up date on situation

I've managed to resolve my break light problem, all wired and working correctly. I've also bumped the bike a few times with no issues, starts easy...

However, still haven't found the cause to the start button..

When i've bumped the bike off and got the engine running, all lights work fine until i put it onto high beam.. then both the clock lights and beam go off.. I'm going to check the parking the bulb and main to see if either are faulty, in the hope that this is the cause of the faulty start button.. on the same loop i think

later all