81 xs400 starter

Jryan88
This post is 5079 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

pulled the starter to rebuild it. long story short. a gear and a chain fell down in the case.. whats the odds of me being able to continue with out taking off the clutch side cover?

well on your starter rebuild your gona have to pull the stator cover off i do know from that side anytime you pull the starter and guide the gear and chain back on the starter shaft . losen the clamp under neath engine holding the wires or relese them from clamp and get enough slack to re permatex the case and then going back be sure your wires are perfectly clear of the case as not to pinch them going back or ya will short the stator on engine or cut them into an have no power, and if your on the side stand and lose engine oil besure and check an refill before you restart , check the starter before you bolt the case back to engine and be sure it whirls engine ok . i had to remove the shims on the end of my nose housing so my starter didnt bind and would spin engine good . make sure ya alien wrench is a good tight fit in those alien bolts or ya strip some ya got a pain in the ss . good luck on it now hopefully some one can help me with my electrial situation lol :D

• 3 months later...

ok.. finally getting to it.. drewps i'm looking your way..

starter was filled with oil.. is it supposed to be? i'm guessing no. if its no, thats ok cause i see where it entered.

that side of the engine - the oil that came out is just the engine oil right? and the stator is under oil?

i'm rebuilding the starter now - and got the gasket and oil - ready to go, but these two things i can't get an answer too.

ok.. finally getting to it.. drewps i'm looking your way..

starter was filled with oil.. is it supposed to be? i'm guessing no. if its no, thats ok cause i see where it entered.

how can the starter motor be filled with oil?, there is a water drain hole on the bottom left side, but i can't see any other way for oil to get in there!

that side of the engine - the oil that came out is just the engine oil right? and the stator is under oil?

If your on the side stand and remove the 4 allen bolt stator cover, oil does come out. the bike needs to be on its main stand to remove the cover and left case. oil pools there via the crank bearing

i'm rebuilding the starter now - and got the gasket and oil - ready to go, but these two things i can't get an answer too.

don't forget the starter clutch, which wears flats. you can get new kits from mikes SX

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online