A proper Yam racebike.....

YamaHead
This post is 5679 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

In 1974, Yamaha produced the 1st of the awesome line of TZ's......with this TZ700......

74_TZ700.jpg

*Pic compliments of Yamaha-Racing.com....where I found it!....As I didn't have a clue I was infringing upon copyright laws with the photographer. :huh:

Now, In what year did Yamaha upgrade this bike to a 750 with Monoshock :?:[

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Alan......it was actually '75.....very next year

They were learning as they went......those 1st ones were notoriously scarey @ speeds above 150mph......read an article about how they went @ Daytona.......scarey enough to make you want to change your shorts after a few laps (if that :shock: ).....so they changed the suspension geometry with the addition of Mono-shock & increased the stroke for a displacement of 749cc

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

they didn't monoshock the production version until 1977 with the 750 D

often wrongly called the OW31 which of course it bore no resemblance to

the factory ones had monoshock at varying times like the 500 GP bike

the shocks on the first 700/750 are vertical to help prevent suspension squat under load

• 1 year later...

[

For your info they altered the bore size of the engine from 64mm to 66.4 mm to increase the capacity not the stroke. And the 750D monoshock is almost a direct copy of the 0w31 factory bikes but less the exotic materials used in its construction Hence a difference in weight of almost 20kg from the factory bikes to the production version. However the bikes are almost identical in appearance and geometary hence the fact that a lot of people claim they have an 0w31 when in actual fact they own an over the counter production version. Very few geniuine 0w31,s found there way into private individuals hands. However with a rear wheel horsepower of around 130bhp and weighing around 155 kg the production versions are one awesome machine even by todays standards.

• 1 month later...

i would go one stage further and say that no OW31's found there way into private hands

the numbers made didnt go into double figures and i know where all of them are

there was a few YZR750's that did go on to private ownership but this was a further development of the OW31 and miles different in specification

the bike that Crosby won daytona on for example now lives in italy but has not been raced since that win

the very first 750 (chassis #001) was tested in june 73 and following that the button was pressed to start production for the 1974 season

Agostini won daytona ( 200 had to have been built by this time to be eligible) on one that year and privateers were getting bikes soon afterwards

260 bikes were built in 1974 and labelled TZ750A's they were 794cc with the same bore and stroke as the 350's

1975 saw the increase in bore to make 747cc and from there on the engine remained pretty much unchanged for the next four years when production ceased

monoshock came in 77 or though harris and spondon were modding twin shockers into monoshock from around mid 74

around 530 bikes were built in total and a similar amount of engines were also supplied seperately

• 2 years later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online