XS500C needs timing chain and link

1946415cd
This post is 5282 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1975 XS500C with only 5000 miles. Its a very clean bike and I have it running really well now. However, it seems that the timing chain is making a fair bit of noise. I can't imagine why it would be worn out at 5000 miles, the rest of the engine is in great condition. Could it be a tensioner problem? I did the tensioner adjustment and it did nothing for the noise. If I turn the engine over slowly by wrenching the exhaust cam

the chain will gather slack between the cams and I can see the tensioner backing off.

The few XS500's that I have seen and heard make the same sort of noise but, it would seem that the engine is only 1 good starting kickback away from the chain skipping a tooth and leaving me stranded.

You thoughts are welcome and if anybody knows where a new chain and link could be had at a reasonable price, that would be great.

Thank you.

Don

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I be extremely surprised if a duplex chain chain was worn in such a small mileage. It should out live the rest of the bike! I'd do some more research first. You will get a small amount of slack turning the engine backwards, thats normal, you don't want the chain bowstring tight!

If the tensioner is backing off I'd say it was faulty. It would have to be VERY lose to skip the sprockets, I had a tensioner break up on an XS400 and even with a very worn chain and no tensioner it didn't skip the sprockets. Made a hell of a din though.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online