Front sprocket internal spline play

root
This post is 5304 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi again another issue have I bought trouble ? I feel a bit thick here but havent had a bike for many years & on a sr 125 that I have just got when checking chain & sprockets found that when on the stand with engine turned off & in any gear I can rock the back wheel about 2 inches back & fourth , the sprocket is tight to the splines so its internal play is this acceptable or will it need sorting ? & if so what work does this involve to put right cos no way coul'd I strip a full unit or is there an easy way ? knowing my luck prob not ! I would grateful of any input cheers root

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not too sure what you're on about, to be honest.

Do you mean there's a couple of inches movement in the rear wheel before you start to feel the engine "pushing back"? If so, that's perfectly normal, you should be able to turn the engine by hand from the rear wheel and only start to feel resistance once you get onto the compression stroke. The couple of inches at the back wheel equates to the piston moving around at bottom dead centre (and a bit of transmission take-up, but that's minimal).

I think that's what you mean, but if it ain't, please give a more detailed description and I'll spout some more bolleaux.

You're welcome

The free movement is perfectly normal and is comprised of two things

1: The slack in the chain, do not try to eliminate this but keep it within specification, you do need slack to allow your suspension to work properly.

2: The remainder of the free play is the 'backlash' in the transmission between the crank, through the clutch ang the two gear shafts

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online