XJ900F rear shox

shakey666
This post is 5299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all,

I'm still very much of a newby here and still finding my way round ... so forgive if this is posted in the wrong place ...

I have a 91 XJ900F and the rear shockers are pooped... so need to find some replacements. Does anyone know if shox from any other bike will fit? Just been offered a set of used 330mm Hagons at a very attractive price .. these are longer than stock ... will they fit? Will raising the back totally wreck the handling or help it?

If these are no good, can you suggest anything else .... I'm on a tight budget ... so nothing exotic please :)

Your knowledge and help would be appreciated...

Fanks,

shakey

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'd go for the Hagons then if they're in good nick and at a decent price

;)

doesnt the 91 900 have a mono-shock on it? :mellow:

It's an old one reged late .... but never mind if the dampers are not leaking the o/e could be stripped and serviced but as you say the Hagons could be good with the exception of the eye to eye length it could (I doubt it tho) cause the bike to steer oddly

Regards Jim

I was just wondering ... as there are loads of streetfighters that have their arse end raised up wildly ... if anyone knows any reason that the shaft arrangement of the XJ had any such limitations???? I would have thought if anything that a higher rear end would have helped the "turn in" .... a possible bad side effect could be a steering wobble at high speed or " tank slapping" .... Has anyone got any thoughts????

shakey

I was just wondering ... as there are loads of streetfighters that have their arse end raised up wildly ... if anyone knows any reason that the shaft arrangement of the XJ had any such limitations???? I would have thought if anything that a higher rear end would have helped the "turn in" .... a possible bad side effect could be a steering wobble at high speed or " tank slapping" .... Has anyone got any thoughts????

shakey

Hi

"Turn in" what does this apply to ? The twin shock 900 was famed for it's tank slappers /wobbles and needed loads of work to make it steer ..... the shaft and rear end had no bearing on its steering but the bubble fairing/forks & unsprung weight were major players

Regards Jim

Hi

"Turn in" what does this apply to ? The twin shock 900 was famed for it's tank slappers /wobbles and needed loads of work to make it steer ..... the shaft and rear end had no bearing on its steering but the bubble fairing/forks & unsprung weight were major players

Regards Jim

Ahh ... fanks ... tell me more please Jim :)

I was wondering if I fitted the 30mm longer shox, if it would make for sharper cornering ... without the higher end speed problems.... Cant say i've had any problems wiv tank slapping in standard form yet mate.... but I'm intersted to learn more.... :)

Ahh ... fanks ... tell me more please Jim :)

I was wondering if I fitted the 30mm longer shox, if it would make for sharper cornering ... without the higher end speed problems.... Cant say i've had any problems wiv tank slapping in standard form yet mate.... but I'm intersted to learn more.... :)

Hi

I doubt what ever you do to the XJ900 (Twin shock) you'll make the old girl to steer ... there is no way it will compare to the later models.. The Forks & nose fairing caused a lot of the steering problems I guess a cut down (no fairing) would handle quite well if you can handle the front end weight !!!

Regards Jim

Hi

I doubt what ever you do to the XJ900 (Twin shock) you'll make the old girl to steer ... there is no way it will compare to the later models.. The Forks & nose fairing caused a lot of the steering problems I guess a cut down (no fairing) would handle quite well if you can handle the front end weight !!!

Regards Jim

Hiya Jim,

well, I'm picking the new shox up on sunday ... so lets hope they work :)

How does a small fairing make that much difference? It wont make the front much lighter? And as i usually ride 2 up, there will be plenty of weight on the back too .... hopefully it will balance out :)

So, phase 1 of "project XJ" is under way........ loads of stuff to do, mainly smallish stuff, but I'll keep ya posted :)

Have fun & be safe ;)

shakey

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online