Moped steering bent

Steven G
This post is 5316 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Okay, so someone hit my moped in the carpark at work the other day, while the steering lock was applied. They seem to have bent the steering, but the bike workshop won't even open the bike up for less than £100, to see the extent.

They also said if the frame is bent, it could be a write off... is this true?

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Okay, so someone hit my moped in the carpark at work the other day, while the steering lock was applied. They seem to have bent the steering, but the bike workshop won't even open the bike up for less than £100, to see the extent.

They also said if the frame is bent, it could be a write off... is this true?

Thanks!

It could be true but "could" is a big word. A lot depends on what the damage is and where it is. It needs to be checked professionally to make sure it is safe. It could be that the forks are bent or out of alignment or the yokes are bent. It could be a lot of things so it is important that if you want to ride it, it is checked over. I guess you are not fully comp insurance.

it shouldnt matter ... if someone hits you ... you on the bike or not you should have their insureance info and they will pay for damages ... quite simple that you dont pay a penny

it shouldnt matter ... if someone hits you ... you on the bike or not you should have their insureance info and they will pay for damages ... quite simple that you dont pay a penny

True. Assuming the the other driver had insurance and if the driver didn't hit the bike and drive off etc. It happens all the time. I heard a crunch once and looking out the window saw a driver reverse over my RD and then drive off. By the time I got out of the house they were gone and I got no details.

Thanks, that's not what i'm worried about at the moment, it was a mate and has agreed to pay the whole cost... it's just they reckon if it's the forks, it will be about £600 to fix?... :o

But theres a set of Jog forks on ebay right now, £49 posted...Here It all depends on how much work you want to put in or if youre up to the job, the trouble is factory trained mech are £££'s per hour, did you check round your local smaller bike shops, or can you strip and check the forks yourself, you will need to be pretty competant though, dont attempt it otherwise but you could save money. Having said all this it IS your mates responsibility so dont let him take the piss eh!

dont forget mopeds have a single stearing stem that it then atached to one yoke (bottom) so is a bit like a push bike so the bars could just be twisted on the stem (same thing hapend to a mate and his zip 50)

Slackening the fork bolts and re-tightening is a good idea - If you know what you are doing. I dropped one of my bikes and it pulled violently after than when I braked. I slackened and tightened the fork bolt and it was fine.

Ok, thanks guys. :)

I have taken all the fairing off the front of the bike, and found that the part at the end of the long tube (at the bottom) that attatches to both forks is actually bent, at the bottom. Does anyone know what this part is called... or how it comes?

Anyone happen to have a parts list for the CS50Z 2008?

Many thanks.