FZ 750.... Maybe this is a better place toi ask?

Sander Koop
This post is 5234 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Howdy folks. Just joined the club... And I have a few questions...

I just got my hands on a nice FZ 750. I'm wondering; how does one upgrade the running gear on these easily? Are there any fatter rear wheels, shocks, forks etc. that fit with few or no mods?

It's an '89 model, with the 3 spoke wheels. Here's pics:

http://www.skoop-tech.co.uk/pics/fz

Also, I'vce noticed that (especially with a cold engine) the gearbox is a right b!tch. Can barely get her from 1st to 2nd, etcetera, until she's properly warmed up. And even then, she's a wee bit clunky. She prefers shifting on slightly elevated revs, so not at fully closed throttle?

PO said she needed an oil change, and that'd improve it?

I'm thinking, maybe the clutch needs some attention? As the clutch seems to "grab" VERY close to the bars... About half an inch from the bar, and awaaaaay we go... :blink:

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Howdy folks. Just joined the club... And I have a few questions...

I just got my hands on a nice FZ 750. I'm wondering; how does one upgrade the running gear on these easily? Are there any fatter rear wheels, shocks, forks etc. that fit with few or no mods?

It's an '89 model, with the 3 spoke wheels. Here's pics:

http://www.skoop-tech.co.uk/pics/fz

Also, I'vce noticed that (especially with a cold engine) the gearbox is a right b!tch. Can barely get her from 1st to 2nd, etcetera, until she's properly warmed up. And even then, she's a wee bit clunky. She prefers shifting on slightly elevated revs, so not at fully closed throttle?

PO said she needed an oil change, and that'd improve it?

I'm thinking, maybe the clutch needs some attention? As the clutch seems to "grab" VERY close to the bars... About half an inch from the bar, and awaaaaay we go... :blink:

I'd pull the cover on the clutch and have a look before putting new oil in the engine. Oil alone does not cause the clutch to grab and be jerky in operation. This is normally down to a either warped plates, a clutch hub that has been worn and now has notches on the splines, or a worn cush drive.

Id say fix the clutch and your gear change problems will go too. Keep riding it like that and you risk bending or causing excessing wear to the selector forks in the gear box. Changing gear while the gear train is still loaded places excessive loading on the selector forks.

fitting larger tyres/wheels will only slow the steering down making it ponderous - go too big and you'll and make it steer like a wheel barrow. :(