New to board with 76 XS500C

EJMAMMO
This post is 5171 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just wanted to say a quick hello to all on this board, I recently purchased a 1976 XS500C for $300 and will be looking to get it road worthy. As has been said on this board, finding that parts for these are pretty scarce, but looking forward to giving it a go. Runs now, but a little noisy around the cam chain area.Hopefully will adjust out. Main issue is no title, so have to work this.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just wanted to say a quick hello to all on this board, I recently purchased a 1976 XS500C for $300 and will be looking to get it road worthy. As has been said on this board, finding that parts for these are pretty scarce, but looking forward to giving it a go. Runs now, but a little noisy around the cam chain area.Hopefully will adjust out. Main issue is no title, so have to work this.

:welcome: to the forum

Top end rattles from the 500 motor could indicate some thing serious I would adjust the chain & replace the oil & filter (the filter blocked easy) and caused oil starvation to the top end of the motor

Regards Jim

:welcome: there was a conversion doing the rounds which changed the oil filter to a larger one I beleive, maybe jim could shed a litle light on this?

:welcome: there was a conversion doing the rounds which changed the oil filter to a larger one I beleive, maybe jim could shed a litle light on this?

Ahh

XS500 oil delivery has always been a problem the filter needed to be replaced at 3k miles else total engine melt down could happen !!! In the UK (and i the past) oil filter mounting plates were made in order to fit a BLMC Mini oil filter, which got around (from riders, I never did it) the problem along with adding more oil, 4 liters rather than 3 and a bit liters, but as I worked within a Yamaha shop (which would not condone the mod) we just replaced the filter on time if not before time. Other 'mods' were to to remove the balance shaft & chain and plug the remaining hole which gave a couple more ponies, no increase in vibes and got rid of that chain thrashing around in the l/h crankcase cover ! If the bike has a 2 piece head head make sure the head nuts & bolts are well tight !

Regards Jim

Thanks for the welcome and info Jim,

So, what are my options for an oil filter, was just searching and cannot find any oil filters, or o-rings to replace them with. I read about making an adapter, but I have no tools nor skills for that. Is there a way to modify with existing parts, or a good substitute? I read this on RealClassic.co.uk, "There is a more pressing problem for XS500 owners, and that's fitting the oil filter. This part has been modified several times over the bike's production span, and getting the right one for your bike can be tricky, as Andy can confirm. 'The oil filter cartridge is a nuisance. The original one tucked under the sprocket cover; the following part is taller, but it did just fit if the balancer cover was lifted (which was a good idea anyway - you need to check the chain regularly!), but the newer filter still is now 3mm too tall. So now you need a hammer to fit it!' (Yamaha also made an adaptor kit to let owners use the filter from the FZR600)". So which filter can you use? And has anyone used the adapter from a FZR600? Thanks again......Jay

I found a guy on ebay selling original filters. I got two at the time, and he said he has a bunch, just contact him again to get more, let me see if i can find him again.

Thanks for the welcome and info Jim,

So, what are my options for an oil filter, was just searching and cannot find any oil filters, or o-rings to replace them with. I read about making an adapter, but I have no tools nor skills for that. Is there a way to modify with existing parts, or a good substitute? I read this on RealClassic.co.uk, "There is a more pressing problem for XS500 owners, and that's fitting the oil filter. This part has been modified several times over the bike's production span, and getting the right one for your bike can be tricky, as Andy can confirm. 'The oil filter cartridge is a nuisance. The original one tucked under the sprocket cover; the following part is taller, but it did just fit if the balancer cover was lifted (which was a good idea anyway - you need to check the chain regularly!), but the newer filter still is now 3mm too tall. So now you need a hammer to fit it!' (Yamaha also made an adaptor kit to let owners use the filter from the FZR600)". So which filter can you use? And has anyone used the adapter from a FZR600? Thanks again......Jay

I never worked on the FZR600 so I cannot comment on the adapter but I guess this is a good idea

I found a guy on ebay selling original filters. I got two at the time, and he said he has a bunch, just contact him again to get more, let me see if i can find him again.

Just replace them at the latest @ 3000 miles along with good quality oil, but don't forget oil tech has moved on and a good synthetic/semi synthetic may not 'wear out' as quick as 70's/80's oil.

If the original filters are cheap enough it would be a good idea to flush the system through using a new filter & discarding it afterwards, then using quality oil and another new filter, If I can track down the guy who replaced the original one with BLMC Mini (Austin) Have a look here at item HD05- Mini hard driver oil filter you may find this to fit !

Regards Jim

• 5 months later...

all i did was purchase a spare adaptor plate from ebay and turned down the trerd to fit a filter where the oring matches the seat on the adaptor and now i have an adaptor for a $3 oil filter form a hyundai excel.

if you need any further info i can send you the thred sizes but its easer to buy an adaptor and a filter thake it to someone who knows how to use a lathe to turn down the origional thred to sute the new filter.

filter http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/hyundaiexcel19861989hastingshalf1441.html to be confirmed

gasket on ebay or you could make one up to shave some cash. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-TX500-XS500-TX-XS-500-OIL-FILTER-GASKET-NOS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad429654dQQitemZ390106539341QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online