Bleeding a hydraulic clutch

rowland75
This post is 5387 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

Having checked my fzr tonight and spent ages looking into its misbehaving clutch, I have found it to be elmost empty of fluid.

My plan now is to replace the fluid and bleed it through. The seal on the m/c looks fine, and the hoses are new braided ones.

Obviously I will be checking for leaks to determine where the fluid went, although there was no obvious fault.

My question is... what is the proceedure for bleeding a hydraulic clutch?

Ive done brakes loads of times..

Cheers

Pete

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi guys

Having checked my fzr tonight and spent ages looking into its misbehaving clutch, I have found it to be elmost empty of fluid.

My plan now is to replace the fluid and bleed it through. The seal on the m/c looks fine, and the hoses are new braided ones.

Obviously I will be checking for leaks to determine where the fluid went, although there was no obvious fault.

My question is... what is the proceedure for bleeding a hydraulic clutch?

Ive done brakes loads of times..

Cheers

Pete

Its just the same as bleeding the brakes

same way for a clutch, open nipple and hose into a jar of fluid, squeeze, close, release.

do this and try to find where the old fluid went, check in the slave cylinder, on the engine, as it may be leaking in there.

and no need to tell you WATCH THE PAINTWORK

good luck ;)

fyi, the slave cylinder on my fzr1000 weeps a little and loses fluid over a long period of time, but it has never, ever been a problem as long as i don't let the resevoir run-down.

Thanks for letting me know as my next question was .... where has the fluid gone?

The previous owner fitted braided hoses so I thought there may be a leak somewhere. Ive been out this morning and checked it over, and wd'd the bleed nipple just in case its seized. Everything looks fine, and the nipple is nice and free, so it should just be a case of bleeding it and keeping a regular check on it.

My only concern is the dregs of fluid in the reservoir are filthy, so I figure air is getting in somewhere.... should I be really concerned or just keep a close eye on it once ive put new fluid in?

Sounds very much like the slave seals have gone, pretty cheap fix. When replacing clean Slave & Piston with scoth brite pad.

Adam.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online