What is a good potion for cleaning out rusty fuel tank?

oldskoollracer
This post is 5383 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A great tip here

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/index.php...ost&p=94067

I'm sure I also saw a thread that had a pic of the inside of a tank that had some kind of coating (DIY), a kit you can buy?, cant find it tho m8y :mellow:

Anybody tried or know of a good cleaner for helping dissolve clean rust/muck out of old fuel tank prior to sealing?

Hello

I have just re-sealed the tank on my DT, I used a rust eating dip that needed to be mixed with water, I plugged the tank and filled it to the top leaving a small space to allow me to shake the tank, I figured this would ensure that the mix would penetrate fully, It was left to soak for a few days and the rusty solution was further agitated using a House hold wire brush pushed through the filler hole, The brush was like a bottle brush but with wire bristles used to clean boilers ,

I then used ‘oven pride’ oven cleaner to remove the fuel residue and agitate this further finally I filled the tank with hot water to wash out the cleaners used and because the water was hot the heat in left in the metal of the tank helped dry out the moisture,

I then dried out the tank using a hot air gun, and then I use a pet-seal tank product that consisted of a priming mix then a sealing mixture,

I know I went over the top but it worked ok and the tank has stopped producing rust particles in the fuel line, the only bad bit is the colour of the coating can be seen in the tank so it is obvious that the tank has been sealed, do remember to put screws/bolts in to any threads that will come in to contact with the sealing liquid or you might spend hours re cutting sealant out of the threads,

Hope this helps.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online