XS400 speedo lights burnt out, apparently

plain old dave
This post is 5381 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Tried all sorts of wiring bypasses on the Green Machine, and no joy on the headlights. Tach lights work fine, so I think the last speedo light finally burnt out. Best I can tell, I have several options.

1) Replace lights in extant gauge

2) Used gauge

3) NOS gauge

I have a line on both used AND NOS XS400 speedo gauges, so finding a new one ain't a prob. I don't mind spending moeny on this bike as I like it. Question, though, is is it even possible to replace burnt out illumination bulbs on the gauges? Not worried about 'em being hard to find; if they exist, I'll find'em. I am busily launching a hard-to-find bike parts business here locally.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tried all sorts of wiring bypasses on the Green Machine, and no joy on the headlights. Tach lights work fine, so I think the last speedo light finally burnt out. Best I can tell, I have several options.

1) Replace lights in extant gauge

2) Used gauge

3) NOS gauge

I have a line on both used AND NOS XS400 speedo gauges, so finding a new one ain't a prob. I don't mind spending moeny on this bike as I like it. Question, though, is is it even possible to replace burnt out illumination bulbs on the gauges? Not worried about 'em being hard to find; if they exist, I'll find'em. I am busily launching a hard-to-find bike parts business here locally.

It's easy as can be to replace the bulbs, like 5 minutes or less. A couple nuts on the back and the big nut on the speedo cable, and the guage slides out and you can pull out the bulb. It's a standard shaped bulb you can get for a couple bucks at any auto parts store. The same bulbs are used for the neutral/oil lights, license plate lights, high beam indicator, etc.

It's easy as can be to replace the bulbs, like 5 minutes or less. A couple nuts on the back and the big nut on the speedo cable, and the guage slides out and you can pull out the bulb. It's a standard shaped bulb you can get for a couple bucks at any auto parts store. The same bulbs are used for the neutral/oil lights, license plate lights, high beam indicator, etc.

Tried to slide the thing out of the cup that holds it and it wouldn't come all the way out. Was afraid I would break something. If it's the same one the three indicators on the panel use, I believe those were #53's. NAPA has 'em. Noted Athens. A good friend of mine got married at OU a few years back.

its just rubber holding them in, so gentle tweeks are in order and they should pop out!

Got 'em out, the #53 automotive bulb is a direct interchange. As an interesting aside, bronze swingarm bushings in back and 30W fork oil up front make a world of difference; handles like a different bike and I feel confident riding 5-10mph faster than I did before.

Got 'em out, the #53 automotive bulb is a direct interchange. As an interesting aside, bronze swingarm bushings in back and 30W fork oil up front make a world of difference; handles like a different bike and I feel confident riding 5-10mph faster than I did before.

you take it easy there big fella and dont be getting bold :)

you take it easy there big fella and dont be getting bold :)

or DAZ

or OMO

or Persil :lol: