81 xs 400, registration, and various cafe help

hebrew hammer
This post is 5395 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys I have been lurking on this forum for a little bit and i noticed the search function is not all that great. So my situation is I aquired a old gem for 200 dollars with a rebuilt engine. It is currently not mounted onto the frame and I have to buy some electrical bits in order to get it running again. My question is will i get wacked with late registration fees since it is almost 20 days? The bike is not running but I believe they need to do a visual inspection in order to transfer the bike into my name. Also I have been searching for a cafe seat with no luck. I heard that the xs400 had a wide seat frame so it is especially hard to find a good seat for it. Also I would like to know what kind of tanks can I use with minimum mods? I would like something that is roundish and organic with knee cut outs. Kind of a commando tank or what not. My last question is what kind of mods should I do to it first? Thanks in advance!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

:welcome: to the forum hebrew H

I had no probs fitting my f;at tracker seat to the frame, but had to cut off the rear frame rails.

why not try and fit a guilari seat. that will fit straight on and looks cafe style they are made to fit the sohc and dohc models

giuliari.jpg

guilari seat

Thanks for the reply. I remember you posted on some other thread about this seat, but like the other poster it does not really fit me. I was thinking about fiber glassing the seat myself. But I am more concerned about registering the thing than anything else. Anyone know if I will be slapped with late fees? The bill of sale said has the date july 3rd and the 20 day limit is coming soon i think?

Thanks for the reply. I remember you posted on some other thread about this seat, but like the other poster it does not really fit me. I was thinking about fiber glassing the seat myself. But I am more concerned about registering the thing than anything else. Anyone know if I will be slapped with late fees? The bill of sale said has the date july 3rd and the 20 day limit is coming soon i think?

We have no idea where you're located... so we have no idea about your registration laws..

oh sorry I forgot to update my info. I live in southern California.

do you have the pinkslip? or just a bill of sale ? if you have the pink and it's singed over to you . then just go to the dmv and do the title transfer . i do not belive they have to "see" the bike . aleast they did not need to see mine when i did my transfer 2 month's ago . good thing to cus mine was a big time mess . yes you will have to pay late fee's if you let it go for to long dont for get you will need proof of insurance to get the reg

do you have the pinkslip? or just a bill of sale ? if you have the pink and it's singed over to you . then just go to the dmv and do the title transfer . i do not belive they have to "see" the bike . aleast they did not need to see mine when i did my transfer 2 month's ago . good thing to cus mine was a big time mess . yes you will have to pay late fee's if you let it go for to long dont for get you will need proof of insurance to get the reg

well the thing is the bike is not even running and i only have the bill of sale. The slip was lost way back in the late 80's. Can i register it as non op right now and re register it when it works?

well the thing is the bike is not even running and i only have the bill of sale. The slip was lost way back in the late 80's. Can i register it as non op right now and re register it when it works?

Yes and no, you can register it non-op, but you will have to go through whatever process to transfer title, and with only a bill of sale, it will require inspection unless the person who signed the bill of sale is the legal owner, and then there is some additional paperwork (application for duplicate title) that must be done. Provided that the bike is still in the system that is. Otherwise the inspection is required and must be done by DMV or a law enforcement officer (usually CHP). Hopefully if it's still in the system it will be a bit easier.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online