2009 Yamaha back rest doesn't fit 1300 or 950

jimm
This post is 5188 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just tried to fit the Yamaha back rest on my 2009 Midnight Star 1300 and it doesn't...

The locating holes on the side arms are about 3 or 4mm too close together, so once you've got the forward slot engaged, the rear slot won't slide down over the rear one. This is the genuine Yamaha accessory from the 2009 catalogue and its a slightly different design to what was in the 2008 catalogue, so it looks rather like Yammy have got their part numbers and/or parts screwed. Or its just plain wrong...

Took it back to the dealer and they double checked all the part numbers and it all looks right and the paperwork that came with the sidearms all refers to the 1300/950. Dealer has taken pics and is going to get on to Yamaha...watch this space

This part is also supposed to fit the 950 - we tried it against one in the showroom and its got the same issue so its not going fit that either.

You could make it fit by grinding the forward locating slot in 3 or 4 mm, but when you're paying £££'s it should fit :angry:

[wanders off muttering under breath]

Just an FYI...

Jim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

And after much ado, its now fitted. The way guy at the dealer did it was to fit the side arm supports before you tighten up the bolts. This gets you a few mm more width - once the bolts are tight, the arms go on and off OK. I still reckon its not as good a fit as it should be - you shouldn't have to do this if the tolerances are correct; you've effectively got a shear loading on the bolts and the captive nut now.

Perhaps it was designed to take the weight like that for a reason.

Also, this is a comparatively cheap bike.

I know how much precision engineering costs and not even Harley D go quite to those lengths!!

• 4 weeks later...

My dealer said the sissy bar was a right pain to fit on my XVS 1300A & they ended up cutting the bolts to make it fit...

• 5 months later...

You may have another problem with this...

I tried to fit OEM hardbags to my XVS1300 and they don't fit with the sissy bar. Long story short, my dealer eventually phoned Yamaha and they admitted there's a printing fault in the 2009 catalogue which lists the 1300 sissy bar incorrectly. The one in the catalogue is actually for a XVS950.

Yamaha stated that the 950 sissy bar will fit the 1300, but will not fit the the OEM hard saddlebags/saddlebag mounts.

If you're planning on buying one make sure that your dealer confirms the correct part no with Yamaha before ordering, as it'll fit but may cause future problems!!

You may have another problem with this...

I tried to fit OEM hardbags to my XVS1300 and they don't fit with the sissy bar. Long story short, my dealer eventually phoned Yamaha and they admitted there's a printing fault in the 2009 catalogue which lists the 1300 sissy bar incorrectly. The one in the catalogue is actually for a XVS950.

Yamaha stated that the 950 sissy bar will fit the 1300, but will not fit the the OEM hard saddlebags/saddlebag mounts.

If you're planning on buying one make sure that your dealer confirms the correct part no with Yamaha before ordering, as it'll fit but may cause future problems!!

Sent you a PM

I've got Held bags and they went on OK, but I've not got a lot of faith in that accessories catalogue :unsure:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online