FZR 600R Clutch issue

mick600
This post is 5417 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First thing in the morning when I start the bike up and put it in first, the bike jumps forward as if the clutch lever wasnt pulled in. The second time I start the bike, it goes into gear perfectly and stays fine for the rest of the day. Then the following morning we go through the same rigmoroll all over again.

This morning I pumped the clutch lever a couple of times before I put it into gear and it went in sweet as you like.

Any idea what could be causing this? The rest of the time it runs fine, the clutch and gearbox not missing a beat its just this first thing in the morning business that has me stumped. :blink:

Any help greatfully accepted

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

First thing in the morning when I start the bike up and put it in first, the bike jumps forward as if the clutch lever wasnt pulled in. The second time I start the bike, it goes into gear perfectly and stays fine for the rest of the day. Then the following morning we go through the same rigmoroll all over again.

This morning I pumped the clutch lever a couple of times before I put it into gear and it went in sweet as you like.

Any idea what could be causing this? The rest of the time it runs fine, the clutch and gearbox not missing a beat its just this first thing in the morning business that has me stumped. :blink:

Any help greatfully accepted

Hi Mick,

2 questions

1) is it watercooled or air cooled (as you have not supplied the year)

2) do you use the bike short to shortish journeys ?

Regards Jim

Sorry yes its water cooled (1995 FZR 600R Foxeye)

It does get used a lot for commuting, about 5 - 7 miles each way depending on where I am working. But it does also get used for a good old blat at the weekends. Weather / hangover permitting of course :D

Sorry yes its water cooled (1995 FZR 600R Foxeye)

It does get used a lot for commuting, about 5 - 7 miles each way depending on where I am working. But it does also get used for a good old blat at the weekends. Weather / hangover permitting of course :D

Hi Mike,

I would guess you are suffering from oil that is not getting hot enough and has a an element of water in it due to the short runs. The water reacts with the clutch and stops it freeing ... so you could replace it ( & filter) and while using the bike commuting cover the oil cooler with tin foil this will allow the oil to get warm enough and dispell the water from it. Dependant of the temp the bike is normally run at (ambient not engine) and the engine speed you may find the foil can stay in place all the time.

Regards Jim

The oil and filter only got changed about 3 months ago. Its using Silkolene oil (as recommended by my local dealer) so I know its decent quality (as in not some muck I picked up at the supermarket) I take on board what you are saying about covering the oil cooler with foil. I will give that a go but surely I shouldn't have to do another oil and filter change so soon after my last one

The oil and filter only got changed about 3 months ago. Its using Silkolene oil (as recommended by my local dealer) so I know its decent quality (as in not some muck I picked up at the supermarket) I take on board what you are saying about covering the oil cooler with foil. I will give that a go but surely I shouldn't have to do another oil and filter change so soon after my last one

Hi Mick

if the oil gets hot enough and boils off the water it should be Ok. I did not know that you had already put in fresh oil which, I would guess over the mileage done, would not be too full of water and things will return to normal with the oil getting hot enuff

Regards Jim

Right got ya. So a damn good thrashing to get the oil up to temp for a while and all should be well.

Thanks for your help mate. You're a good man

Regards

Mick

Right got ya. So a damn good thrashing to get the oil up to temp for a while and all should be well.

Thanks for your help mate. You're a good man

Regards

Mick

Hi Mick,

dont forget short about short trips the tin foil may still work ... as I have worked out you are in the UK you may find that the heated oil via the short runs means you don't need to do the longer runs if you have been on the lash :lol:

Regards Jim

Hi,

It's not uncommon for most bikes, to some extent, to re-act as yours does to the initial change into first gear at start.

If the problem was not as bad or noticeable before your oilchange it is most likely your clutch doesn't like something in the Silkolene and the clutch plates are sticking together when left overnight. Try a different oil next time.

Your method of pumping the clutch is what most people do when this minor glitch arises.

The 'problem' is not worth any loss of sleep. Try a different oil next time and in winter go for a slightly lighter grade.

Regards.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online