Well, it's done.

christoph21
This post is 5415 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Here's a pic of my finally completed 81 XS400 racer. The camera was goofy and only one picture was saved but it's a goody. I'll get more tomorrow hopefully. Rides NICE!!! I restored it to factory default first then redid it again. However, I didn't take a before everything pic. It was in really rough shape. It had been sitting in a barn since 1987 (two years before I was born even!) It had an extremely worn gas tank, bent handlebars, missing side plates, broken carbs, worthless tires, etc. I replaced the usual for a cafe conversion; seat, bars, signals, 2into1 exhaust etc. I've done all the work myself minus the upholstery on the seat. I appreciate all the help I've gotten here also by the way. Thanks.

Enjoy!

Stock - summer 2008

dfbuiu.jpg

Cafe racer - Spring 2009

2wexwea.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Going with the first pic I would be reluctant to do anything to it except fill it up, but you,ve done a first class mod' on that, its a lickle beaut ! very well done Chris :icon_eek::yes:

Hot Damn, that looks sweet. gives me a little hope. Is that seat and rear piece bought or made?

Half and half. The seat was made but I had to make a fiberglass pan for the actual pad.

Well done !!

;)

sweet ride ya got there! i slapped some clubman bars on mine and wow - rides like a whole different machine. i bet yours rides nothing like the original. have you ever considered swapping your tank out for a '77 tank? that tank had a real squared-off euro look. i think it would compliment your cafe mod quite well. i found a banged-up, resto needed replacement for mine on ebay for like 35 bucks

sweet ride ya got there! i slapped some clubman bars on mine and wow - rides like a whole different machine. i bet yours rides nothing like the original. have you ever considered swapping your tank out for a '77 tank? that tank had a real squared-off euro look. i think it would compliment your cafe mod quite well. i found a banged-up, resto needed replacement for mine on ebay for like 35 bucks

I do like the squared off tank better. But, I already had repainted this tank (twice) and the bubble style seat I have wouldn't look right without the teardrop gas tank. I want to do an xs1100 or xs850 next and use their square style tank then get a boxy cafe for my next cafe project.

And yes, it rides like a totally different machine! Whips through curves like no one's business now!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online