Sitting too close to the exhaust - suggestions?

GMXV535
This post is 5434 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone, newbie here!

I've recently bought a 1999 XV535 and it needs a couple of adjustments so that it fits me comfortably (I'm a bit of a shortie....5"2'!).

I've sorted out the handlebars with risers, but I have a problem with the footpeg on the right side. When my foot is on the footpeg, my leg is against the exhaust pipe and the bottom of the engine...so I get rather warm!! I haven't taken it on a long ride yet, but I guess that if I do, there could be burning!!

Has anyone had this problem, what did you do to resolve it? I'm thinking about footboards, would this work d'ya think??

Thanks peeps! :thumb:

PS - forgot to add that I can't sit further back on the seat, I'm as far back as I can go while still reaching the controls!!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi. Nice looking bike. I just googled a few pics, and it looks like its your inner thigh that will get the roasting. You could put a kevlar patch on that area of your riding pants. Get good boots also, if you dont have already. You could probably get a kevlar cover made, and fitted, but would be a bit of mucking about. Low tech solutions are always my fave. Have fun. Mark

the Way i solved that was to put boards on it 148,36 $USD

thy can be got at http://www.bikercom.com/shop/index.php?pag...mp;ref=H732-060

Thanks for the replies guys!

Mark, I should have posted a pic with my query - sorry about that! I have good boots and I wear cordura gear but the kevlar patches sound like a good plan!

Glen, the footboards look the business all right - what did you do with the brake pedal when you fit the boards - won't it be in the wrong position (too close to the bike?)

Thanks for the replies guys!

Mark, I should have posted a pic with my query - sorry about that! I have good boots and I wear cordura gear but the kevlar patches sound like a good plan!

Glen, the footboards look the business all right - what did you do with the brake pedal when you fit the boards - won't it be in the wrong position (too close to the bike?)

thy can be a pain to install you have to remove the OEM pegs then remove the pegs from the brackets then install the boards to the OEM brackets then reinstall them on the bike so the brake will not be in the wrong position

Thanks again Glen, much appreciated

your welcome

Move your foot sideways a little... To the right.

You should not have your foot actually resting on the brake pedal (unless you have BIG feet, like me), so you can afford to move it out a bit.

The engine is air-cooled, so as you munch the miles heat should not be a problem.

If you still have issues, consider installing a plate or something on the footpeg bracket that keeps your foot shielded.

Thank you ttaskmaster, it's true, sometimes the smallest simplest things make a difference!!

I've been used to "tank-hugging" on previous bikes, so sat on the Virago the same way...but did as you suggested and didn't feel the heat so much!! I did notice that the brake pedal is off-set way to the left, which might be why I tried to cover it (and put my foot too close to the heat in the first place). The previous owner did say the bike had been dropped (while stationary) on that side, so there must have been some impact on the pedal which pushed it out of shape slightly.

So I've solved one problem and will now look at sorting another!

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online