Yamaha SR125 Starting problem

psbresner
This post is 5419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi Guys,

I have a 96 SR125 which was starting ok a while ago, I haven't started it for 6 months but it has been under cover. I tried starting it the other day but it wouldn't catch. Seems to turnover ok.

I've since tried replacing the spark plug but that made no difference, seems to be a strong smell of fuel around the spark plug. Battery seems fine but will put on charge anyway.

Not sure what I should try next.

Thanks

Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Umm... charge battery, clean and gap the plug, put fresh fuel in (it goes off v quickly). You could try turning up the tickover a bit until you get it going. Tried bumping it in 2nd? Mine prefers a r7 to the rec'd r8 plug - YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm... charge battery, clean and gap the plug, put fresh fuel in (it goes off v quickly). You could try turning up the tickover a bit until you get it going. Tried bumping it in 2nd? Mine prefers a r7 to the rec'd r8 plug - YMMV.

Thanks for the info.

Got the battery on charge as we speak, tried a new plug and set the gap.

Fuel might be the problem then, how quick does it go off??

Thanks

Paul. :D

Hi guys,

Finally got it started last night after charging the battery. Not running very well thou, starts with choke and after a few seconds the revs go crazy. If I put the choke in it cuts out.

I think the mixture is wrong as the spark plug is black, can't find my mixture screw thou. Just seems to be a hole where it should be.

Thanks

The screw was there, its a recessed screw. Well I reset it to factory conditions but now it cuts out all of the time. Checked the air filter and that was dripping in oil, have cleaned it with petrol and left to dry out.

The screw was there, its a recessed screw. Well I reset it to factory conditions but now it cuts out all of the time. Checked the air filter and that was dripping in oil, have cleaned it with petrol and left to dry out.

From experience, the air filter should be wet with oil but not dripping. Before putting it back in the housing, soak it in oil then wring it out. This stopped our little 125's problems with the revs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online