Where tp get bigger spur gear or smaller rear drive gear?

78XS400
This post is 5431 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I want to get a tad less rpms when on the HWY at 80mph, anyone know where I can get either gear at to lower rpms/get a tad more top speed? I just bought a 17T front sprocket, what should I put in the rear?? As far as I know the gear in the back is stock.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1 tooth on the front is worth 2 or 3 on the rear sprocket, maybe go for an 18t front sprocket or down 2 or 3 teeth on the rear and see how you get on

1 tooth on the front is worth 2 or 3 on the rear sprocket, maybe go for an 18t front sprocket or down 2 or 3 teeth on the rear and see how you get on

Yea I currently have stock gears, 16 frt/39 rear, I am putting on a 17t front so should I go more teeth on the rear or less? I think I need a 37t rear right? I dont want to change the chain just yet so if I can get away with a 37 rear then I will do it.

going to a 17 up front should drop your rpms by about 10% so i would actually just go with the front sprocket first and see how you like it first. if you go front and rear at the same time you may not like it on the bottom end as much.