SR 250 weird cutting out

Wabba
This post is 5264 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Dear Sirs,

My -95 SR 250 TH is cutting out, but the way how it does it is weird, help needed, please please.

The bike starts always without any problem and idles perfectly, as long as I want. When I ride it, the engine pulls really well and then suddenly it just cuts out, no warning or anything, same as just switching the ignition off. If I ride for example at 80 km/h, it won't start again if I let it roll on gear. I have let it roll even like 200 meters and it just doesn't start.

But if I just pull the clutch in, let the rpms drop to zero and press start, it starts a again immediatelly.

In other words, if it cuts out at highway speeds for example, I just pull the clutch in, wait 2 seconds for the engine to stop spinning, hit start and it starts inmediatelly, but won't start by "push starting", no matter how long the roll.

This to my understanding means that it can't be the plug nor wires. Anyway, I changed the plug just in case, no difference. It also makes me think it's not the coil neither, because it should start again when letting it roll on gear, right?

Since it doesn't do it on idle, could it be dirty fuel or dirt in the carburator? Any other ideas? Oh, the bike was in a garage 4-5 months without starting it before I bought it.

Thank you in advance, really appreciated!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Thank you for the replies!

So carb time it is then. I didn't remember the side stand switch at all, I'll check it out also.

This is why I like this forum, people are always ready to help, unlike many other forums. Good stuff!

Right,

I took the carb out, cleaned every single bit, although it wasn't dirty to start with. Run at least a liter of fuel out of the tank to a coffee filter to see if there was dirt, nothing.

Took the bike out to test it and nothing had changed, it suddenly just cut out every now and then. But curiously warmer it got, less it cut out. Since the weather was so good, I went for a spin even with thr bike cutting out. When it got warm (began to feel the heat from the engine) it stopped doing it. Only fault then was that under strain it misfired, and warmer it got, less misfire also.

Then I stopped for a phone call, maybe 15-20mins. When I took off, it began to cut out again, and as before, when it warmed up, better it run.

Could it be the coil? It seems to ignition related, as the carb is fine. The plug is brand new, put it on yesterday. Can the wire be changed without changing the coil? I would like to try that first.

Thanks for helping!

Right-o,

Spent 4 hours taking the fuel tank off, cleaning it, dismantling the carb again (just in case I missed something), and changed the ignition wire. Put everything together and adjusted the carb, it seemed to be a bit lean. The bike runs a lot better now, but when cold, it still keeps on just cutting out. I also treated every single ignition related connector with a anti corrosion/rust spray.

I took it out for a 200km little cruise today, I have now the +1 front on (original 14/40) and once warm, it didn't miss a beat, not a single misfire nor cutting out.

The next thing I'll look into is the relay. I have a feeling that might be the cause Could this be the source of all headache? My reasoning is that if it cuts out, I only need to quickly click the run switch off-on with my thumb and the bike runs again.

Off topic, +1 front makes the bike a totally different. A lot better to ride around town and on highway it does 100km/h @ 6500 rpm. I think I'll try and drop the rear -1 or -2. It should be able to pull it still. The bike did 3.8 liters / 100 km, and that was to a constant head wind. Not bad... On the negative side, I burned my forearms in the sun. Never ride in short sleeves in the beginning of summer... :lol:

• 1 month later...

Dear Sirs,

My -95 SR 250 TH is cutting out, but the way how it does it is weird, help needed, please please.

The bike starts always without any problem and idles perfectly, as long as I want. When I ride it, the engine pulls really well and then suddenly it just cuts out, no warning or anything, same as just switching the ignition off. If I ride for example at 80 km/h, it won't start again if I let it roll on gear. I have let it roll even like 200 meters and it just doesn't start.

But if I just pull the clutch in, let the rpms drop to zero and press start, it starts a again immediatelly.

In other words, if it cuts out at highway speeds for example, I just pull the clutch in, wait 2 seconds for the engine to stop spinning, hit start and it starts inmediatelly, but won't start by "push starting", no matter how long the roll.

This to my understanding means that it can't be the plug nor wires. Anyway, I changed the plug just in case, no difference. It also makes me think it's not the coil neither, because it should start again when letting it roll on gear, right?

Since it doesn't do it on idle, could it be dirty fuel or dirt in the carburator? Any other ideas? Oh, the bike was in a garage 4-5 months without starting it before I bought it.

Thank you in advance, really appreciated!

I have exactly the same problem-

I can't be sure its exactly the prob same as yours, but my SR250 has a really dodgy spark plug wire (not where it's connected to the plug itself, but where the plug connector connects to the cable from the system, if that makes any sense!) and it comes out easily, cutting out the bike. It's a little crude but making sure it's connected and taping it with cellotape solved my problem, it hasn't done it for months now. Have a go and see if it works.

.....This to my understanding means that it can't be the plug nor wires. Anyway, I changed the plug just in case, no difference. It also makes me think it's not the coil neither, because it should start again when letting it roll on gear, right?....

It could be a bad conection on the electrics. For example a bad clutch wire. Item 6 Here

• 4 months later...

Right-o,

Off topic, +1 front makes the bike a totally different. A lot better to ride around town and on highway it does 100km/h @ 6500 rpm. I think I'll try and drop the rear -1 or -2. It should be able to pull it still. The bike did 3.8 liters / 100 km, and that was to a constant head wind. Not bad... On the negative side, I burned my forearms in the sun. Never ride in short sleeves in the beginning of summer... :lol:

Hi Wabba,

I don't know about your cutting out problem, wish you solved it. (Did you check the ignition relais under the seat?)

I am most interested in your and anybody elses experience with the drive sprockets.

I need new ones badly. I ride now 15/40. It pulls terific up to 4th gear, but is weak in 5th. I do not get it over 100 km/hr.

At 5000 revs it goes 70 km/hr. And I use between 28 and 33 km per liter.

(I usually ride two up and my wife feels fine if I not go faster than 80. Which is reasonable safe on Thailand traffic. You must drive very defensive here, so I don't mind not to go faster than 100.)

From pictures in the manual I count 16/46. Would that be less economic? Or.....?