82 XS400Rj Side stand switch question

nedj10
This post is 5444 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey everyone,

I have gotten my Seca tagged and running and she has been doing ok around the side streets until this weekend.

While driving down the road she stalled I got it safely to the side of the road and started checking things I noticed two things

1) no matter how hard I tried she would not go into neutral.

2) on top of this it the side stand switch seemed to be closed no matter whether the stand was up or down.

Tonight I pulled the headlight and the seat checked all my connections, pulled the clutch cover checked the neutral switch and all the electrical connections and after manually switching the gears with my hand on the lever to neutral she started fine.

despite bouncing the bike around I could not get it to replicate the problem.

Seeing as how the side stand switch runs 66 dollars on bikebandit , as compared to every other switch which is about 18 I just wanted to ask is there any known issues with the switch? I noted the boot on the piston on the switch is pretty cracked but it doesn't appear you can order just the boot.

any advice is appreciated,

thanks in advance as always

Ned Williams

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey everyone,

I have gotten my Seca tagged and running and she has been doing ok around the side streets until this weekend.

While driving down the road she stalled I got it safely to the side of the road and started checking things I noticed two things

1) no matter how hard I tried she would not go into neutral.

2) on top of this it the side stand switch seemed to be closed no matter whether the stand was up or down.

Tonight I pulled the headlight and the seat checked all my connections, pulled the clutch cover checked the neutral switch and all the electrical connections and after manually switching the gears with my hand on the lever to neutral she started fine.

despite bouncing the bike around I could not get it to replicate the problem.

Seeing as how the side stand switch runs 66 dollars on bikebandit , as compared to every other switch which is about 18 I just wanted to ask is there any known issues with the switch? I noted the boot on the piston on the switch is pretty cracked but it doesn't appear you can order just the boot.

any advice is appreciated,

thanks in advance as always

Ned Williams

Ned, I know some peeps who bypass the switch, I don't have one on mine(SOHC Model). I think its just the laws there which determine if one is fitted

drewps

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online