spark plug wires

metal hed11
This post is 5462 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

One of my spark plug wires came apart yesterday when i was working on my bike, are they replaceable? if so where can i find some, or what type do i need? thanks guys

Hi,

in the UK the answer would be yes but your bikes may be different .... look at the coils if they appear to have a plastic 'nut' where the ht lead enters you will be able to replace the lead with std HT lead ... but if you have a wasted spark coil (2 leads from one coil) these tend to be moulded in so therefore you would have to cut at the break use the little inline connector and add a new lead ... but they dont tend to work to well !

Regards Jim

what part of the wire "Came apart"? Did it come loose from the coil, break somewhere in the middle, or come free of the spark plug cap?

If it's from the coil or a break in the middle, it's as Jim said (though my '78 xs400 didn't have the wasted spark coils but still had the wire moulded in).

If it's just loose from the spark plug cap, that's a pretty easy fix, and can be found at most suppliers of parts.

they are normally bonded in the coil, but an article in the xs1100 club website had them dremel out the side to take out the cable.

If yours has come out completley, then in the hole that is left, there is a brass needle for the central core to connect to. You can then 5 min epoxy the cable back in. I used standard multicore HT lead as this will connect to the needle better rather than single core stuff.

drewps

they are normally bonded in the coil, but an article in the xs1100 club website had them dremel out the side to take out the cable.

If yours has come out completley, then in the hole that is left, there is a brass needle for the central core to connect to. You can then 5 min epoxy the cable back in. I used standard multicore HT lead as this will connect to the needle better rather than single core stuff.

drewps

it was the cap that came off of the wire itself, i pushed it back on and it seemed to work, but it was starting to show some corrosion so i was hoping there were replacements.

it was the cap that came off of the wire itself, i pushed it back on and it seemed to work, but it was starting to show some corrosion so i was hoping there were replacements.

you need to screw it in, "ooh missus!"

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online