YAMAHA DTR125 56 PLATE

T1A50 London
This post is 5465 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I really needs some HELP.

I've had my DT125 for 5 months and only after 3 months during my bike test it started pouring with rain and I begun to get light electric shocks on my fingers every time i touched the front brake or clutch leavers.

Now every time it rains hard and i'm riding i get the electric shocks. Seems like there is electricity current on the leavers. The other day it was so painfull i was changing gears with out the clutch and only using back brake.

I've now taped up the leaver with guffer tape and it prevents me from getting the electric shocks when it rains.

Has anyone experienced this? Any advice?

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The only voltage that would be likely to cause that much discomfort is HT (High Tension) voltage, this can be as high as 30,000 Volts. it is the voltage that gives a spark at the spark plug, have a spray round the ignition coil and HT lead with WD40, if that cures it then get a replacement ignition coil or if youre up to it replace the HT lead in your existing one.

coil voltage hurts like heck, I cant imagine how it feels when wet.

When I was young and in 7th grade, I took a class on small engine repair (lawnmower motors) the teacher was talking about HT voltage and made the class form a circle and hold hands. then the kid at one end held the motor while the kid at the other end held the plug wire and the teacher was to pull the start cord.

having done this before quite by accident with my dads lawnmower, I knew that it wasnt something that i was willing to submit myself to willingly. I declined to participate, and it was insisted upon that i did, i still refused and ended up in the deans office. one quick phone call to my parents later, I was back in class in time (without incident) to watch the rest of the class do the "oops I touched the coil wire jig"

they all walked to their seats rubbing their arms and giving me a look like i should have somehow warned them all.

.....I've now taped up the leaver with guffer tape and it prevents me from getting the electric shocks when it rains.....

Lucky it is only your hands. You have other parts where the shock would be even more painful.

As OG says the HT will be the only shock to hurt unless, you are getting some kind of static buildup which is conducted in the wet and earths normally in the dry. This could allow static buildup through tyres or clothing.

I would check the HT lead for cracks and melts, The spark plug cap for cracks or fit and the porcalin on the spark plug for cracks. If it is the HT then the bike will miss when you get a shock but I guess you would not notice this having the volts shooting up your arm.

Little dave - I love Vegas.

I occasionally get static shocks in my fingers from what you described D.DT but its usually when the weather is crispy dry. i can only imagine what it would be like to ride on carpet....

you should come over, we could go for a ride. :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online