I can't make my XV125 work with custom air filter. HEEELP !!!!

El Muerte
This post is 5086 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I got huge problem with my Xv 125 air filter modification.

Tried to remove casing and place custom air filter (something like K&N cone) , but once custom air filter is placed I encountered some weird problems.

Bike works perfectly while in idle, but when I try to accelerate, everything above 1/4 of throttle, 'chokes' the bike and it cames to stall.

I can accelerate if i open 1/5 - 1/4 of throttle, but everything above it, makes RPM to drop and bike stalls.If I don't let throttle, bike turns off.

At start I thought it was a vacuum pipe cousing all problems, and when i placed air breather filter on vacuum pipe, my problems presisted.

Later I placed stock filter and casing back, but removed vacuum hose from it. It stalls again.

Once again, I placed custom air breather on vaccum hose but kept stock air casing and air filter, and it worked.

Ok so I solved my vacuum problem, but real problem presisted. (so i think)

Last night I removed that rubber restrictor inside stock air filter casing to give it a try , hoping that MABYE, my bike will go this time.

Again, once that restriction was removed, bike stalls soon after I try to accelerate and open throttle.

It seems that my XV 125 needs exact ammount of air flow, or it won't run.

Is it possible that once i place custom filter, mixture becomes so lean that it won't go or is it something else?

Anyone have a clue why I can't accelerate !?!?!?

Please help, me I was until 5am last night in garage trying to make my bike run.I drove my neighbours nuts, already.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like carberation troubles to me, try opening the throttle with choke on and see if that helps, if the bike continues running then it is more than likely running lean. in which case you will need to re-jet the carb.

quite often these performance upgrades will require rejetting to balance the increased air/fuel ratio, are there any instruction on the packaging/invoice of your new parts?

Naah...no instructions.

There is almost none of standardized air filter for Virago 125.Im not saying there are no filters, but I say there is no standardized custom air filter applied for Virago xv125 models.

I will try tomorrow with choke open, and report how my bike behaved.

your carb needs up jeting the exact same thing hapend on my 50cc when i put a cone filter on it so upjeted it but had same problem because i dident up the jets enough so hand to put standard filter back on and de restrict it (removed ruber inlet snorkle and coper washer on the air inlet)

• 1 year later...

Tried to remove casing and place custom air filter (something like K&N cone) , but once custom air filter is placed I encountered some weird problems.

Bike works perfectly while in idle, but when I try to accelerate, everything above 1/4 of throttle, 'chokes' the bike and it cames to stall.

I can accelerate if i open 1/5 - 1/4 of throttle, but everything above it, makes RPM to drop and bike stalls.If I don't let throttle, bike turns off.

At start I thought it was a vacuum pipe cousing all problems, and when i placed air breather filter on vacuum pipe, my problems presisted.

Later I placed stock filter and casing back, but removed vacuum hose from it. It stalls again.

Once again, I placed custom air breather on vaccum hose but kept stock air casing and air filter, and it worked.

Last night I removed that rubber restrictor inside stock air filter casing to give it a try , hoping that MABYE, my bike will go this time.

Again, once that restriction was removed, bike stalls soon after I try to accelerate and open throttle.

Is it possible that once i place custom filter, mixture becomes so lean that it won't go or is it something else?

Please help, me I was until 5am last night in garage trying to make my bike run.I drove my neighbours nuts, already.

hi yes i had the same problem, tho i have a sachs 125 v roadster, the same engine as the virago.. i fitted a k n filter too, it didnt like it one bit at first, running lean, then to rich. throttle lag in the low rev range. it was doing my head in big time lol.. i found that it was the filter and had it ram it with rags to restrict the air, it worked put face it its a bodge job so i swaped it for a different k n filter. unlike the common filters that suck air in 360 degrees around the filter, you can get filters for pitbikes that are incased in a cover, the cover has holes in it to allow air through but not to much. try that it worked for me. you can buy them from £15-40... try this link...http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/air-filter-kandn-38mm-with-blue-cover-pit-bike.html.. hope it works for you

goodluck

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online