XS500 Rear Master Cylinder Kit Mystery

sleepyk
This post is 5458 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've had some real breakthroughs working on this oldie this month and now have it running smoothly. I'm moving onto breaks and tires next and thought I'd redo the rear master cylinder since I noticed it was clearly bad. Powersport Superstore had this chart:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Produc...&Click=8320

..which clearly states that 1978 XS500 rear master cylinder part number is 29-2989. That part is out of stock---everywhere.

According to Old Bike Barn the part number is 32-4031. From what I've read Old Bike Barn does not have the best reputation though.

Powersport Superstore carries the 32-4031 part as well but it is not listed on their chart. I'm tempted to buy it to continue my progress on my bike, but I'm concerned it's not the right part and I'll only get frustrated ordering it.

Are there any other resources to try and figure out if this part will work with my bike? I went to the manufacuter's site (K&L Supply Co.) but it was no help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've had some real breakthroughs working on this oldie this month and now have it running smoothly. I'm moving onto breaks and tires next and thought I'd redo the rear master cylinder since I noticed it was clearly bad. Powersport Superstore had this chart:

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Produc...&Click=8320

..which clearly states that 1978 XS500 rear master cylinder part number is 29-2989. That part is out of stock---everywhere.

According to Old Bike Barn the part number is 32-4031. From what I've read Old Bike Barn does not have the best reputation though.

Powersport Superstore carries the 32-4031 part as well but it is not listed on their chart. I'm tempted to buy it to continue my progress on my bike, but I'm concerned it's not the right part and I'll only get frustrated ordering it.

Are there any other resources to try and figure out if this part will work with my bike? I went to the manufacuter's site (K&L Supply Co.) but it was no help.

Hi Sleepyk,

The correct repair kit part number for the rear master cylinder will be 1J3-W0042-50-00 or 1J3-20000-50

try here http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y...0042-50-00.html for a replacement.

Regards Jim

mines cheaper !!!

regards Jim

Wow! Thank guys! I have a XS500E (I think that's the only Xs500 they had that year), not sure if that matters.

Jim, how did you find that part on that site? I went through the website to see what they carried for this bike an nothing came up.

Super sport looks like it might be a good resource for parts too.

mines cheaper !!!

regards Jim

if they have them in stock (usually don't)

Wow! Thank guys! I have a XS500E (I think that's the only Xs500 they had that year), not sure if that matters.

Jim, how did you find that part on that site? I went through the website to see what they carried for this bike an nothing came up.

Super sport looks like it might be a good resource for parts too.

Hi Sleepyk,

it was simple ... just look up the part number from the parts book , and then google the part number !

Regards Jim