fzr 400 not starting

wolfeh
This post is 5453 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok i have charged my battery so the battery is not dead i try to start the bike but it jus goes click click click click and nothing us does not start can any one help me with this gettin pretty frustrated

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

ok i have charged my battery so the battery is not dead i try to start the bike but it jus goes click click click click and nothing us does not start can any one help me with this gettin pretty frustrated

it has been started by a jump start i tried putting into second gear and pushing but failed as i am feeble and limtied space it rocked but then the wheel skidded im just really not sure what to do next

it has been started by a jump start i tried putting into second gear and pushing but failed as i am feeble and limtied space it rocked but then the wheel skidded im just really not sure what to do next

to jump start it just sit on it and get about 2-3 mates to push you down the road

if that dont work you shout remove the spark plug the conect it to the HT lead and see if it sparks if it does that thats fine

then you may need to clean the carbs out other than that im not sure what it could be

to jump start it just sit on it and get about 2-3 mates to push you down the road

if that dont work you shout remove the spark plug the conect it to the HT lead and see if it sparks if it does that thats fine

then you may need to clean the carbs out other than that im not sure what it could be

ok then i wil tryl that what i meant by jump start is by a car he hooked it up and it started im just worried tht it aint gunna work which isnt good as i really like the bike

If you used "jump leads" connected a car battery and it started and ran then either your bike battery is no good and/or the connections to the battery need cleaning.

Assuming it started and ran when connected to the car battery. Disconnect your battery and clean up the bike battery terminals. The metal rings at the end of the black and red wires that bolt on to the battery. Get them so they are clean of rust and muck. Next clean the terminals on the battery. The metal parts where the wires connect to on the battery. When all is clean connect the battery back up to the wires +ve is red, -ve is Black. Try and use new bolts and nuts to connect the battery to the wires. Try and start the bike. If the bike will not start reconnect the Jump leads to the car as before and try again. If the bike starts when connected to the car then your battery may not be holding a charge and needs to be changed. If when connected to the car battery you still get the clicks you will need to check all the connections to the starter motor and clean these. Including the starter motor to the engine as they often use the fitting bolts as the earth. If this does not work you need to check the starter motor itself. This can be done by taking off the starter motor and connection it directly to a battery which is working. This should then spin the internals of the starter motor. It may need changing or overhauling too.

Make sure you or someone who does this is competent and knows what they are doing.

Hi,

Just because you charged up the battery doesn't mean it's OK. If it's old it may charge up and show 12V but it will have no guts to start the motor.

Try hooking up another battery via jumper leads to yours. If the bike starts, it's a faulty battery. If not it may be your starter solenoid. This is an easy fix and should be cheap 2nd hand from the wreckers.

Regards

sounds like starter problem to me. my FZR does similar sometimes.

i got round it by putting bike in 1st gear, walk few steps with it, drop the clutch.

this usually does the trick, then bike starts from button

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online