Disc to Drums

CadXS
This post is 5484 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

To continue the XS400 obsession on this site...

For purely cosmetic reasons (shameful I know) I'm thinking of changing the the wheels on my XS400 from the cast alloy ones with discs to spokes with drums.

Has anybody done this? I have a complete front end and swing arm and rear wheel from a XS250. I was wondering if they are a straight swap, especially thinking about the mounting of the rear brake pedal linkages and switch.

All the best

Caddy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

For purely cosmetic reasons (shameful I know) I'm thinking of changing the the wheels on my XS400 from the cast alloy ones with discs to spokes with drums.

Has anybody done this? I have a complete front end and swing arm and rear wheel from a XS250. I was wondering if they are a straight swap, especially thinking about the mounting of the rear brake pedal linkages and switch.

All the best

Caddy

as far as the front is concerned no problem.

the rear will need the pedal and linkage to operate the rear brake

All the best

Caddy

I'll have to say I rather like the spoke wheel look on them myself. Now if the drum brakes just worked worth a darn. What I would like to do (eventually) on my xs400 is convert to disk on the front while keeping the spoke wheels.

I'll have to say I rather like the spoke wheel look on them myself. Now if the drum brakes just worked worth a darn. What I would like to do (eventually) on my xs400 is convert to disk on the front while keeping the spoke wheels.

Yes, I think the stopping power of a disc on the front would make me feel safer as well. Like yourself my long term plan is to fit a disc to the front, but to maybe use a different caliper to the stock XS400 which is a little bulky. I think a modern Brembo type caliper fitted with some kind of adapter plate would be a possibilty...

th_YS2B0010.jpg

Yes, I think the stopping power of a disc on the front would make me feel safer as well. Like yourself my long term plan is to fit a disc to the front, but to maybe use a different caliper to the stock XS400 which is a little bulky. I think a modern Brembo type caliper fitted with some kind of adapter plate would be a possibilty...

th_YS2B0010.jpg

Hi Cad,

just find some UK spec XS250C wheels ... spoked, drum to the rear & twin leading shoe to the front and to be honest there would be no reason to fit a disc front brake if a correctly set up TLS brake was installed. The XS250C retained the same frame but had a different S/A so with a 250C S/A and footrest mounts (where the brake cam fitted thro) you will end up with an XS400 spoked & with some drum brakes to die for.

Regards Jim

Hi Cad,

just find some UK spec XS250C wheels ... spoked, drum to the rear & twin leading shoe to the front and to be honest there would be no reason to fit a disc front brake if a correctly set up TLS brake was installed. The XS250C retained the same frame but had a different S/A so with a 250C S/A and footrest mounts (where the brake cam fitted thro) you will end up with an XS400 spoked & with some drum brakes to die for.

Regards Jim

Hey Jim

I have a rear wheel and swing arm from a XS250C, but not the pedal and linkage mechanism. I was more wondering if there were any differences in the mounting points on the frames (pedal spindle mounting point and rear brake switch) from an XS400 to 250? I have the chance to buy the rest of the parts I need from a XS400 Custom and was just worrying about compatabilty really.

Thanks

Caddy

Hey Jim

I have a rear wheel and swing arm from a XS250C, but not the pedal and linkage mechanism. I was more wondering if there were any differences in the mounting points on the frames (pedal spindle mounting point and rear brake switch) from an XS400 to 250? I have the chance to buy the rest of the parts I need from a XS400 Custom and was just worrying about compatabilty really.

Thanks

Caddy

Hi Caddy,

the SE frame was a wee bit different to the std one so there is a chance the SE parts will not fit, I'm not saying it would not be impossible but may need a bit of modification in order to fit.

Regards Jim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online