Picking up a XT550 soon - a few questions

This post is 5482 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm getting a XT550 soon, I'm not sure which year it is. The guy I'm getting it from tells me the battery keeps discharging and it can be difficult to start. Could be a bad battery or something draining it - is this common? I'm getting a really good deal on it, so it's a no-brainer decision.

I've read a little about them on the Interweb; they seem like decent bikes, not going to win any races or anything, but looks like fun. Is there anything I should look out for?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I'm getting a XT550 soon, I'm not sure which year it is.

welcome john,,,,,, thers a member on here called yamhead, [usa] , he is well genned up on the XT models .. look him up , ask his opinion. ;)

Thanks Blackhat. I'm going to order a manual for it, so that should help too.

I brought it home and began figuring things out. The battery appears to be good, but some wires have been cut (one is the chassis to battery ground wire!), so I'll need a schematic to figure that out. After a few kicks it started to come to life, it idled for a little bit but then died. I spent some time kicking it over, getting it to run for a few seconds and wore out my leg qnd worked up a huge sweat. I started taking the fuel lines off from the carb to see if there was bad gas or something. I opened the valve to ON and got a drop or two of gas. hmmm Turned to RES and got a lot of gas. hmmm It's out of gas??? yup. Put more gas in, put it all back together, fires up the first kick and runs like a champ! I took it around the neighborhood for a little bit and really had no complaints, there's really not much wrong with it other than the battery wiring. I'll get that fixed and put some new tires on it and go riding!

there's really not much wrong with it other than the battery wiring.

Good o" john-boy. its braw when its a simple fix :D . Enjoy the XT, B)