xs400 strange chattering noise

element51
This post is 5478 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey guys my 1980 xs400 is making a high-pitched chattering noise around 3k rpm. It's very loud when riding, and happens throughout the whole rpm range. It's been doing this since i first got the bike. Since the clutch was on its way out, I changed the clutch, and also synched and cleaned out the carbs. In a possibly related issue, the engine doesn't pull past 6k rpms at WOT. However, it goes all the way to 9k if i leave it at 3/4 throttle. I uploaded a youtube video so you could hear the sound. Any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtvLYmsoPH0

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OUCH! That sounds pretty awful.

It does sound to me as though it is running dry. Are you certain of good oil circulation?

not running clean, maybe you have an air leak in the manifold. have you tried spraying wd40 over the inlet sto check for airleaks?

checked your valve gaps?

could also be tensioner blades for the cam chain

not running clean, maybe you have an air leak in the manifold. have you tried spraying wd40 over the inlet sto check for airleaks?

checked your valve gaps?

could also be tensioner blades for the cam chain

I sprayed starting fluid on the butterfly seals and the carb holders, but there was no change in rpms. is the procedure to check valve gaps in the service manual, or is there a write-up? Can I check the cam tensioner/chain at the same time?\

As far as oil, i changed it recently and its between the marks when the put the bike is on the center stand.

I sprayed starting fluid on the butterfly seals and the carb holders, but there was no change in rpms. is the procedure to check valve gaps in the service manual, or is there a write-up? Can I check the cam tensioner/chain at the same time?\

As far as oil, i changed it recently and its between the marks when the put the bike is on the center stand.

the procedure is in the manual which you can get in the sticky that yamagod has posted.

for the cam tensioner, you will need to lift the head off and it might be a good idea anyway, so you can check valves, rockers for wear etc

oil should be ideally on the top line, but between is ok, are you using the correct grade (20w 40 in usa, 20w/50 in uk) and are you checking AFTER just resting the dip sick ontop of the casing (ie not screwed in!)

drewps

the procedure is in the manual which you can get in the sticky that yamagod has posted.

for the cam tensioner, you will need to lift the head off and it might be a good idea anyway, so you can check valves, rockers for wear etc

oil should be ideally on the top line, but between is ok, are you using the correct grade (20w 40 in usa, 20w/50 in uk) and are you checking AFTER just resting the dip sick ontop of the casing (ie not screwed in!)

drewps

I am checking by looking into the sight glass on the side of the crankcase, it's between the lines, using 20w40. I will check valve clearances in the coming weeks, what gaskets do I need to order?

I am checking by looking into the sight glass on the side of the crankcase, it's between the lines, using 20w40. I will check valve clearances in the coming weeks, what gaskets do I need to order?

its cheaper to get a "top end" gasket kit rather than separate items. then you get everything you need ( or thought you didn't need)

don't forget you also need a torque wrench for the head.

drewps

Just to check the valve clearances, you don't need any gaskets as far as I know. I used a bent feeler gauge. There are four gold colors caps on the heads that take a fair amount of torque to remove. When open there is enough room to get a feeler gauge down in there between the rocker arm and the valve.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread....1312&page=2

Also check and make sure it not something else on the bike vibrating at that rpm. My center stand used a make a racket because the rubber stopper had disintegrated. I used a section of bicycle inner tube and some zip ties to fix that. Use a piece of garden hose to help clarify where the noise is coming from.

I have an excerpt from the service manual for valve adjustment in word. Is there a way to included it as an attachment?

Also I have a couple videos with sound of my engine for comparison if you're interested here: http://lucashurt.blogspot.com/

Luke

Sorry I thought the reference was for head removal to check the valves and rockers etc.

checking valve clearances dont need new gaskets

drewps

thanks guys. I havent thought about checking for loose nuts+bolts, but will do so. Adding oil to the top of the line(even a little above it) didnt help. I also noticed that the noise happens most between 3-4k. I'll check the valves this week or the next

the valves were on the loose side, so i tightened them up, and the noise seems to be gone while the bike is stationary. It's been raining here so i didn't ride yet but the valve adjustment seemed to do the trick.

Interesting. My bike makes a little noise around 3 to 4k as well, a light clanky noise seemingly irrespective of engine load. I'll have to check my valve clearances as well, thanks for the post and the followup information!

Interesting. My bike makes a little noise around 3 to 4k as well, a light clanky noise seemingly irrespective of engine load. I'll have to check my valve clearances as well, thanks for the post and the followup information!

just took it out for a spin today and the engine is much quieter overall, but the noise was still there. turned out that the center stand was hitting the crossover pipe on the exhaust.

lol! nice ;)

well, you have a happier engine AND now that you've found the source a quieter bike ;) Looking at my center stand I see there isn't any rubber to prevent it from banging around, will have to do something about that myself as well.

Centerstand! Wahoo! Do I get a gold start for a helpful recommendation?

Glad you got it sorted Element.

:bis:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online